What grain bullet for elk out to 450

valleysnyper

Hi everyone, as I've stated before my 3 boys are taking me on a Colorado elk hunt next October. I have wanted a 28 nosler to play with while my 7mm STW is being built. I have 100 rounds of Nosler 160 gr AB Trophy ammo I have been shooting out of my christensen ridgeline, they shoot very good out to the 200 yds I've shot it at so far...alittle over an 1.25 at 200. My question is should I go to the 175 ABLR or 150 gr E Tip. Never been on a Elk hunt before so not sure what I need or should be looking for. Sorry about the long rambling post, just alittle confused

I would use a ballistic program to get an idea of what the energy and velocity of the bullet is at the farthest range you're comfortable to shoot. For Elk I like to have at least 1500 ft-lbs of energy and 1800 fps.

The velocity number could be different depending on the bullet you choose.

That 160 Accubond is a crusher in my 7mm Mashburn Super. The only reason I use other stuff is cause it works so danged well I'd like to try other things to see how they compare. I'd hunt anything with a fast 7 and the 160 AB.

I shoot a 180 Hybrid in my 7RM. Took a good bull at 662 last month. 1 & done. Pass through with a $.25+ exit hole, no bone hit.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.