What gives with modern 6.5x55 loading data?

Man I forgot I started this thread. TBrice my surgery did not go well I ended up in the hospital for 2 months. The truth be told I have never recovered.
I sold my Winchester M 70 and hope to replace it some time in the future. Apperently it was the Krag rifles that held the 6.5x55 back. The 96 Mauser was actualy rated to 65000 psi like other modern bolt action rifles.

cdherman I feel your pain. I can imagine how vigilant you have to be so as to not put the wrong load into the M94. I'm pretty sure that the underlying reason for the data we see in print can be the legal advice from component maker's lawyers. Those of us who realize what a great little cartridge it is must simply use our best judgement and resist the urge to treat it like a Weatherby 340 when we stare at our powder scales. When I was working up the load I settled on for my rifle once I saw velocity pass 2900 I I made the decision to stop. And this may sound frivolous but it's no accident that my barrel is 24.5 inches. I wanted just a little help from my barrel length to be sure I realized the velocity I was hoping for. Ok everybody quit laughing.

Man I forgot I started this thread. TBrice my surgery did not go well I ended up in the hospital for 2 months. The truth be told I have never recovered.
I sold my Winchester M 70 and hope to replace it some time in the future. Apperently it was the Krag rifles that held the 6.5x55 back. The 96 Mauser was actualy rated to 65000 psi like other modern bolt action rifles.
Darn I hope you get better.

Yes the Mausers were tested to 65000 like today. The Krag is what held the loads back in the reloading books not Mausers. Try some RL22 and it will amaze you.

Please keep feeding in the info I will be unable to respond for 2 weeks at least. As I am going in for a pancrease transplant in the mourning.
I look forward to reading any further input when I get back Cheers.
Wish you speedy recovery and get back to shooting soonest...........................................

Don't forget Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturer's Saami standards limit the 6.5 x55se to 51 KPSI. While the 260 rem is 60KPSI. Loaded to the same pressure the 6.5x 55 wins all day.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

The 96 Mauser was actualy rated to 65000 psi like other modern bolt action rifles.
Woa, Woa WOA. They got a PROOF round that was right at 65,000 PSI. Modern rifles are (6.5 Creed for instance) get proof tested at around 79,000 PSI, and was we know, run around a 65,000 PSI max. This gives some wiggle room before the brass just starts to liquify under the pressure.

So don't confuse the two. The M96 and M94 Mauser actions are legitimately, the very best small ring mausers ever made. This is due to a lucky demand that the swedes made -- they wanted the rifles made using swedish steel. Iron ore in sweden has throughout history been well regarded. This is thought to be due to naturally occuring cobalt deposits which makes swedish steel better. BUT ITS STILL inferior to modern steels. Loads for the small ring were kept around 47,000 PSI. Even "modern" European CIP specs only take the swede up to 55,000 PSI.

Please, please, please no one start running high pressure rounds in M94 or M96 Mausers. Yes, you might have a gun that is lucky and has just the right steel. But your gun is over 100 years old, has never been proof tested to 79,000 PSI, and might also be suffering from age related metal fatigue.

I love my Ruger, but wonder the same thing about the weal listed loads....I'll be my Ruger could take a solid load! I know it can.

Get a Swedish Husqvarna or Gustav orr a Belgian FN made 98 commercial for the 1960's and the metallurgy is a sgood as anything made today. The Swedes introduced the element Vanadium into cro-moly steel mixtures and I doubt there is a modern military rifle today that does no closely copy that formula of steel. I have seen Africa calber rifles safely made for these M98-based actions.