What Experiences Has Everyone Had With Premium Brass?

I'd rather spend some coin on quality and spend my time loading and shooting vs. sorting and cherry picking.
I tried to do that MZ, I really did but lapua and norma brass would not shoot as well for me. Tried going up and down on powder charge, moving in and out of lands, even tried two other powders as well. Yeah they shot 1/2 MOA ......but not the one's and two's the winchester was delivering. Gave up and went back to getting about 80% out of bags of 100 and doing a full match prep on each one. You still come out better $ wise and for me match prepping can all be part of the fun. :)

Ive had great luck with the premium lines of brass. I still sort them and cull outliers but don't like to do so until they have all been once fired and then prepped. Plenty of cases that would seem to be outliers before firing will fall in line after firing.

I promised myself I was only going to read this. but now here I am writing my experiences and thoughts on modestly priced versus premium brass. My brass consists of mil-surp all the way up to Lapua. I have put in the time on the mil-surp to make M-14 match brass. nothing could be better but it took me 2 years to complete the 3,500 pieces of brass. My rifle has never shot so good in it's life. My hunting and target/match brass consists of stuff I picked up off the range, to Lapua brass weighed then volumed/CC'ed and other such stuff. the best hunting brass I ever had was a handful of Norma that a guy gave me because I owned a 270 Win and he had been carrying around the brass for years. I now have another 400 rounds of Norma brass for my 270's. those original 50 pieces of brass now are retired due to wearing off the head stamp from being reloaded untold times (annealed ever 2 to 3 reloadings) the best match brass has been that mil-surp I match prepped. but a very close second has been Nosler brass. I weighed the stuff, CC'ed them and found them to be so tight in their weights that I did not barely have to do anything to them. I should mention the bulk of my hunting brass is Hornady. it has served me well over the last 30 years. once brass has been fired once the odd stretching, the odd weight irregularities and the prepping is done Hornady is just as good as many much higher priced brass. the problem is that Hornady does not last as long as Nosler, Norma, Lapua, and whomever makes Barnes head stamped brass.
the work I put in on the brass I use for match versus the higher price I could have bought sometimes is a wash.
I will say this; the higher priced brass I have is stellar. the lower priced stuff I have once they are prepped can be just about as good. my 300 win just got a boat load of brass since I had all this missmatched and funky stuff done to it. I now have all one head stamp and yesterday proved to me that my long held belief that missmatched head stamps could shoot better or as good as all the same was proven false.

the best advice I give on this subject is how much work do you wish to put into your brass. you can buy your way out of some of it, but you can't buy your way out of all of it. my M-14 is a fun gun, my IDPA pistols are fun guns, my defensive pistols I depend my life on, my hunting rifles put food on my plate, my match rifles well they are my stress release. I take my gun accuracy seriously.. but not too seriously. I love making my hunting rifles shoot as good as most match rifles. I like making my comp pistils function flawlessly..
brass is a part of those guns doing what I want/demand of them. you choose how much work the bras will be, you choose how much you demand of your weapon's systems. at this moment, I am so far behind on brass prep I probably will never get done. I shoot still with up prepped brass. yesterday was an eye opener. I have to consider myself lucky that the brass was great, the loads were great, the projos were what Iw as testing out.. the 200 grainers for the 300 win mag failed miserably. no more debates about whether a 200 grain slug will stabilize in a 1:10" twist. they don't. new 1:8" twist barrel time.

I've bought 2 boxes of Peterson brass. It is the only brass that I've bought that I felt was ready to load without any prep work. I've only reloaded it twice so far so I can't speak for the durability of the Peterson brass but so far I'm very impressed.

I've bought at least 9 boxes of lapua brass in the last 5 years and I felt the need to resize and prep the lapua brass before loading. I've also bought Nosler, Norma, Hornady and Winchester brass as well as loaded multiple one fired factory ammo brass from multiple manufacturers. The Remington brass that I prepped for my 22-250 actually shoots tighter groups than my 22-250 lapua bras but the Lapua brass is lasting longer while the Remington brass primer pockets are getting loose.

I've bought 2 boxes of Peterson brass. It is the only brass that I've bought that I felt was ready to load without any prep work. I've only reloaded it twice so far so I can't speak for the durability of the Peterson brass but so far I'm very impressed.
Thanks Brian that's just what I was looking for. Had seen a post somewhere on this forum where someone had complained about peterson brass primer pockets getting loose quickly. You never know when its a pressure cooker load or if its soft and not many loads durable. Ordered some 7mm-08 select and will be able to find out for myself but winter up here is fighting me. I can however load one round over and over shooting it out the back tool room window (used to be a gunshop in the house and that's that's how he did it winter) will answer my question's about primer pocket tightness.

OK played with search function and got quite a few older thread's to read, seems it's quite durable and comparable to lapua for over all quality. The select feature sets them apart somewhat but batch to batch the weight can still change. Saw one instance where a poster said less case capacity and need for starting low and working up on powder charge. We'll see, I will know quite shortly myself, thanks for all the replies and feedback, I'm off and running. Dave.

Last edited:
It's delusion to believe you can bypass our human condition with bigger checks.

I understand what you are saying, but its not an entirely true statement.

The difference lies within the amount of research one is willing to do before writing a bigger check. Paying more for a brand name based on popularity is different than paying more for proven quality where the cost of ensuring a more consistent product must be transferred to the end user.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.