What bolt action rifle to replace my Sako L579 Forester

Technologist

I'm not selling the Sako!

But it's getting really worn and for a general use rifle, I might want to complement it with something a little newer.

I like the general specs of the Sako, basically:

- .308 Winchester (preferrably in an 18-22" barrel that is neither varmint nor pencil)
- Hinged magazine floorplate (goodbye Tikka T3)
- A relatively compact receiver, preferrably one that won't fit a .300 Win Mag...
- A slick safety that can be easily and silently disengaged as I shoulder the rifle
- The safety must lock the bolt in position (Goodbye Bergara)
- A slick action
- Not a complete custom rifle build
- No unnecessary use of plastics! (Goodbye modern options from Sauer, Mauser, Merkel and a bunch of others)
- Built by people who might actually get to use their product (goodbye Howa)

I like the look of Ruger Hawkeye, but I'm not sure about the safety. Two-position safeties are generally easier to work. A slick Remington 700 in the right stock would work, but the new ones don't lock the bolt when on safe. They also seem to be hit or miss quality wise... The CZ557 looks quite nice.

Are there any other makes that I'm not thinking of? Kimbers rifles look very nice but I've read a lot about people having issues with accuracy and sometimes quality control/customer service.

Last edited:
I have 6 Kimbers in various configurations, all but one have had zero issues. The one issue I had was my Select model in 300WM had some marks in the chamber from some chips.
I fixed it by polishing the chamber and all is good now. This was my earliest purchase of a Kimber, it didn't sway me from buying again as it is an accurate rifle for such a skinny barrel and lightweight rifle.

I have a Sako L461 Vixen in 222 I will never part with.
Ruger, Winchester & Kimber are the only manufacturers I can think of that lock the bolt with safety engaged.
I like Rugers, but I would take one of the other 2 if it were me.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.