Western North Carolina

waterdog540

Hello everyone. My name is Larry Isenhour and I am a retired public employee. Most all of my shooting interests are long range, hunting or competition. My real passion is 600 yard bench rest. I compete at Piedmont Gun Club in Rutherfordtown NC and at the ORSA in Oak Ridge TN.

My long range hunting rifle is a 7STW with a Hart barrel, 700 action, and Remington PSS stock. Scope is a Leupold 6.5 x 20 EFR bumped to 8.5 x 32 by Premier. I shoot Berger 168gr VLD's at a muzzle velocity of 3123 fps.

Don't hunt as much as I used to, age and health, but still love to shoot. I am a member of a hunting camp in PA and we have an area where one can shoot up to a mile and anywhere in between. We have steel targets set up at different distances and I shoot more at them during the year than at deer during buck season.

Another gun is a switch barrel rig built on a short action 700. It has three barrels, a 6BR fluted Hart, a 6.5x284 fluted Krieger, and a 6 x 47 Lapua in a Krieger. I shoot this gun alot and mostly at rocks and crows. Have a couple of farms that I have permission to shoot on here in the mountains.

This is my introduction to this site. If you have comments I would love to read them.
Larry Isenhour
waterdog540

Hello Larry, n c rod (Rod Holbrooks) in Kannapolis and I work in Tryon/Columbus area and would like to know more of the club you mentioned. Long ranges are hard for me to come by and I am new to this forum. Any help would be appreciated. Rod

Larry

Welcome, how many world records have you broken now anyway?

Pop Dave Tooley on the noggin the next time you see him and say I said hi

By the way guys, here is Larrys latest 600 yard record.

isenhour550.jpg

BH

Last edited:
Sorry I haven't replied quicker. I was in PA all last week.

Rod, The Piedmont Gun Club holds a 600yd match every second Saturday through the summer. Next one will be June 13. You can go to benchrest.com and click on the IBS logo and look up the Piedmont club. If you are interested in going, e-mail me at [email protected] I will give you directions. Hope you will join us.

Thanks for the kind words, BH..I was lucky that day. Everything worked just the way it was supposed to. That is the fifth record for me at 600yds, all with a 6BRX.

Thanks for making me feel welcome here on this site...This is a great site.

Larry Isenhour

Larry, I have never shot a rifle in any type of competition. What would I need to have and know to shoot in the match on the 13th. I am very familiar with rifles and shotguns and saftey and have competed a a higher level at all of the shotgun disciplines. I have a new 40X 308 with 6x24X50 glass that shoots GMM factory loads pretty well. Please advise , should I shoot or just watch? Rod Holbrooks [email protected]

Rod,,,,,,my suggestion would be bring your gun and ammo and come to the match. You probably should watch the first match and get a feel for it, and then you could compete in the second match. You would need a front rest and a sandbag for the rear, and 20 record rounds of ammo. I would suggest 40 rounds because you will need to shoot some sighters.

There will be plenty of shooters there to help you and answer any questions you might have. We love to get new shooters involved in the sport of 600yd benchrest, and you will find most all of us very helpful and friendly.

We shoot two matches, (light and heavy) and next match I think heavy will be shot first. The only way you will know if this is for you is to show up at a match and decide from what you observe. I can tell you, it is addictive.

Think about it, Rod and we hope to see you there, and that goes for anyone else reading this.

Piedmont Gun Club has one of the nicest ranges I have ever seen. It has 16 covered benches and is in a beautiful setting. You shoot across a flat field, and the targets are in front of a tall bank of dirt.

Larry Isenhour

i do a lot of work in Hamptonville NC with the Lydall plant. and i am down their a lot how far are you from their? i was down their all weekend with nothing to do i did take my pistol and shot at a very nice indoor range.

Larry, Thanks for the reply. I believe I have everything necessary to shoot. There may be a conflict on the date with my 39th wedding anniversary. I REALLY need another addiction. I will contact Piedmont about possible membership for practice at a 600 yd range. 200 yds is all that is available @ Rowan Co. Wildlife club near my home in Kannapolis NC. If not that shoot, I will definitely try the next. If you plan to practice and would not mind the company, I would be honoured by an invitation. My schedule is flexible and so am I. Rod Holbrooks [email protected] 704 467 7980 cell#

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.