Well......what do ya do??

codyadams

So this happened a few months ago, but I figured I would tell the tale!!

So the toilet fill valve had broke on our toilet in the middle of my work week, so the water would just run, so until I got a day off work to run to the ace hardware (I work 12 hr shifts and they are closed before and after shift) we had to just turn the water valve on to flush the toilet and fill the tank, so we used it like that for a couple days. I would have just had my wife go get it, but I didn't figure it was too big a deal, and didn't want to put the burden on her.

Well, on my Friday at shift change I get a frantic phone call from my wife....all I hear is her saying sorry and apologizing, nearly in tears....I ask what is going on is everyone ok? She tells me she flooded my reloading room......she had left the water on and it overflowed for about 45 minutes, into the floor heat vent, through the ducting, and over to the next vent....directly above my bench, reloading/gun room, shelves with powder, primers, thousands of rounds of brass, guns, and so on. I rush home and she is in a panic ha ha, there is towels, blankets, kids cloths and everything somewhat absorbent on the floor trying to dry up the nearly 2" deep of water!!!! My bench is soaked, reloading die boxes have water in them, all my powder canisters are soaked, primer boxes are soaked, EVERYTHING is wet!! I very calmly tell her everything is fine, don't worry about it, it can be fixed, so on and so fourth.....and after she leaves the room I nearly have a mini melt down ha ha.

After spending hours drying everything and going through stuff, I was very thankful that all my powder minus one old can of pistol powder that was packaged in a cardboard bottle is still perfectly fine....I keep the foam pieces in the lids of my powder, and it keeps them air tight, or close enough. I lost some primers, probably around a thousand or so, but not terrible considering....went through all my die boxes and dried them out and sprayed them down with wd-40, same with all my tools, my press, my powder dispenser, dumped the water out and put a bunch of brass and put in the oven to dry, had to clean out ammo boxes, had to dry a bunch of bullets off, and so on. Took apart several guns and dried/cleaned them. My digital scale thankfully survived....my note book with recipes and info on probably around 50 or more different guns of friends and family and my own, notes on seating depth, CBTO, nodes, powders tested, bullets tested, rate of throat erosion, hours of work and measurements and testing, has all the ink water stained and some of it is hardly legible, it needs to be transcribed digitally.

So.....I moved my reloading equipment and supplies to the other side of the room, and immediately fixed the toilet ha ha. My wife felt so bad she baked me a batch of cookies and got me a 6 pack of beer for while I was drying everything off ha ha, she is pretty good to me.

Pretty horrible thing to happen, but overall, it turned out much better than it could have. So, if you have the option, keep your gear and reloading equipment/supplies away from vents or other possible places where water would come down on it, because it SUCKS!!!

Have a good one all!!

Last edited:
That's a good thing to keep in mind! I'm glad you didn't lose much in the end Lol It sounds like she's a keeper!

I would be expecting the wifey to be very appreciative of how understanding and calm you where..... a lot more long nights if you catch my drift...

Wowza! Your much more patient then me, I too have load books that are very much a diary! So many hours invested into those books.

on a side note - I would invest in a good dehumidifier. Put it in the room for a few days. You'll be very surprised how much moisture they'll suck out of the room!

That was a terrible situation, but seems that you handled it very well. Your wife was luckier than most, I'd guess.

I sure as hell hope you took her out for a relaxing dinner....
even though the toilet overflowed.....causing the damage...you should have got it fixed........online buying..calling a plumber..a handyman...
Would have saved your problem....
But you owe your wife now......that was your fault.......
Hell...for the right amount of cash I would have taken the drive to fix it....
A good road trip.....maybe even pickup a roadkill wolf........

even though the toilet overflowed.....causing the damage...you should have got it fixed........online buying..calling a plumber..a handyman...
Worst post EVER! It is never OUR fault :)

Ya....my wife is in nursing school and wasn't working, I work a law enforcement job, have three kids and all the regular bills plus the expense of putting my wife through college, I totally have the extra money to pay a plumber $80+ an hour plus a fee to drive 45 miles to my town (as there isn't one in my small town and 45 miles is the next closest town) to replace a $15 part that I can do on one of three toilets in the house, but I work long hours and couldn't get to the store, so figured it could wait 3 days ha ha.

It was a simple mistake on both sides, neither of us take it too heavily now though. Honestly she was more distrought than I was. Life isn't without it's dramas, at this point now that it is behind us it is nothing but a memory, and we can both laugh about it and make jokes while sipping wine on the couch and enjoying eachothers company. We both know and accept that neither of us are without flaws, so we embrace that and let it bring us closer!!

So this happened a few months ago, but I figured I would tell the tale!!

So the toilet fill valve had broke on our toilet in the middle of my work week, so the water would just run, so until I got a day off work to run to the ace hardware (I work 12 hr shifts and they are closed before and after shift) we had to just turn the water valve on to flush the toilet and fill the tank, so we used it like that for a couple days. I would have just had my wife go get it, but I didn't figure it was too big a deal, and didn't want to put the burden on her.

Well, on my Friday at shift change I get a frantic phone call from my wife....all I hear is her saying sorry and apologizing, nearly in tears....I ask what is going on is everyone ok? She tells me she flooded my reloading room......she had left the water on and it overflowed for about 45 minutes, into the floor heat vent, through the ducting, and over to the next vent....directly above my bench, reloading/gun room, shelves with powder, primers, thousands of rounds of brass, guns, and so on. I rush home and she is in a panic ha ha, there is towels, blankets, kids cloths and everything somewhat absorbent on the floor trying to dry up the nearly 2" deep of water!!!! My bench is soaked, reloading die boxes have water in them, all my powder canisters are soaked, primer boxes are soaked, EVERYTHING is wet!! I very calmly tell her everything is fine, don't worry about it, it can be fixed, so on and so fourth.....and after she leaves the room I nearly have a mini melt down ha ha.

After spending hours drying everything and going through stuff, I was very thankful that all my powder minus one old can of pistol powder that was packaged in a cardboard bottle is still perfectly fine....I keep the foam pieces in the lids of my powder, and it keeps them air tight, or close enough. I lost some primers, probably around a thousand or so, but not terrible considering....went through all my die boxes and dried them out and sprayed them down with wd-40, same with all my tools, my press, my powder dispenser, dumped the water out and put a bunch of brass and put in the oven to dry, had to clean out ammo boxes, had to dry a bunch of bullets off, and so on. Took apart several guns and dried/cleaned them. My digital scale thankfully survived....my note book with recipes and info on probably around 50 or more different guns of friends and family and my own, notes on seating depth, CBTO, nodes, powders tested, bullets tested, rate of throat erosion, hours of work and measurements and testing, has all the ink water stained and some of it is hardly legible, it needs to be transcribed digitally.

So.....I moved my reloading equipment and supplies to the other side of the room, and immediately fixed the toilet ha ha. My wife felt so bad she baked me a batch of cookies and got me a 6 pack of beer for while I was drying everything off ha ha, she is pretty good to me.

Pretty horrible thing to happen, but overall, it turned out much better than it could have. So, if you have the option, keep your gear and reloading equipment/supplies away from vents or other possible places where water would come down on it, because it SUCKS!!!

Have a good one all!!
Your a good man Charlie Brown!

I had a similar experience in college. We had a 2 story townhouse/apartment with bedrooms/bathroom upstairs and each bedroom had its own vanity.

One day I was sitting downstairs watching TV and heard a noise that sounded like a garden hose got turned on upstairs, so I went to investigate. Walked into the second bedroom to see the vanitys door swung open and a stream of water shooting across the room. The shutoff valve on the sink was plastic and it split in half leaving an open 3/8 pipe. Cue panic and trying to figure out what to do. It was the hot water line so I thought I would try to turn off the hot water heater, run downstairs, search all I can and the apartment complex wanted to save money so bad that there was no shutoff for the water heater. Call maintenance in a panic and tell them the problem. They show up after about 20 minutes and tell me that they can't find the water shutoff for our apartment so they go to turn off the whole building but that valve leaked so they bypassed it a long time ago and never fixed it. Now they have to call the city and have the whole blocks water tuned off.......

During this time I had found a garden hose, and two makeshift buckets, went back and forth filling buckets and dumping them in the bathtub. All my gun stuff was in a closet directly under the vanity. It rained through all sorts of places nasty water that washed through old apartment carpet upstairs and all the popcorn fell off the ceiling on my stuff.

Bottom line is, my gun stuff now resides with no plumbing above it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.