Well....They’re Still Shoot’n Pretty Good

memtb

Finally got around to verifying zeros for our upcoming hunts. We've done very little shooting this year, a bit of health issues for the first four months, and then playing catch-up on the "home place" since then.

Fired a few "fouling rounds" through each rifle.....as I just did our semi-annual bore cleaning! :) After "fouling", did the usual 300 yard check. For a zero check, I usually only fire two rounds. These is not load development, merely a zero check. Both rifles required a little adjustment.....fire two rounds, adjust, fire two more.

The wife's rifle, a box-stock (still with factory bedding) Win., Model 70, .338 WM (Barnes 225TTSX's) produced an average of approximately 0.60 MOA for the four shots. This was with the two shot groups averaged together. Not to bad for a factory bedded "Mattel" stock.

My rifle, shooting the same format, produced two, two shot groups averaged together equaling approximately 0.45 MOA. This rifle is a semi-custom .375 AI, shooting Barnes 250 TTSX's.

While not bench rest quality shooting, these are both 9 pound (hers, a little less) hunting rifles. For those that argue, that "larger" bore, heavy recoil, fairly light weight rifles can't be shot accurately....I'm convinced they can! I think these can get the job done out to our "self-imposed" limits of 600 yards. Not true long range....but not a "chip-shot" either! ;) memtb

Good to here your guns still shoot. It sounds like your time off never hurt your shooting ability either. Good luck this fall. Nice to hear from some one who likes Barnes bullets too.

Nice shooting Memtb, I would say you are still shooting good but I guess we'll blame it on the guns Lol. Hope your health is better and good luck to you and the misses, hope you fill them tags.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.