Pretty Talented Scammers

WahooYahoo

I almost got taken. Scammers have gotten clever. My phone rang and the caller ID showed Center Point Energy, my local natural gas provider. When I answered there was a recorded message that said my service was going to be interrupted in 30-45 minutes and to press 1 to pay my bill. My alarm went off with the "30-45 minutes", but The called ID was correct and the number that displayed was for Centerpoint Energy.
I pressed one and got "the Disconnection department" (clue #2). Ole ]boy started his rant and I shut him down with "I paid my bill 3 weeks ago, everything you're telling me screams scammer". He was very convincing. "I understand sir. I don't have to agree with our policies but I have a job to do. Surely you understand". He asked me to verify my service address and what not, like is usual. Then started asking me about my meter, and saying my smart meter has a required upgrade and that I should have gotten a notice to go by the service center to pay a deposit for the upgrade. At that point I began to talk over him and might have gotten a bit irate. Again telling him I would call the customer service line because there was zero chance I was paying a deposit.
He was still telling me I had used 16 of the 30 minutes and hoped I could get a rep on the line and get it resolved before the service interruption when I hung up. I called the customer service number from the website (the 2nd number listed was the same as the one that called me). The rep assured me that my account was in good standing. I told her the story and that she should report it. She saidShe's heard that story before.

They're getting pretty clever. All of me was saying "scammer", but he would have gotten my Mom. For sure they get people to pay. I tell all of this because not everyone is a thorough skeptic. The world is filled with people who work very hard not to work. Be careful!

Similar story here to but it was my father in law. He was flustered and was pulling out a credit card when I came into the room. I asked what was going on and he said "they are about to shut off my power." I had him put it on speaker phone and started asking questions and they guy got rude and loud. I hung up the phone and told my father in law to call the company direct from a number listed on his bill or website. They said he was current and have gotten a number of calls from people reporting the same scam.

Unfortunately these scammers are pretty slick and smart these days. Be careful and never give money to someone calling you. Always call them back from the customer service number on the bill or their website.

Before you ever pay someone who calls you from a company you normally do business always look the company's number independent of the caller, maybe google. With number in hand call the company and inquire about the status of your account. Do not pay the person who is calling you direct if legit you can get a hold of that same person using the company's real number.

That same thing happened to me last year. Got a call from Tucson Electric Power, I knew right away because I have the number saved in my contacts. I answer and this guy with an accent says my service is being disconnected, and I know for a fact it wasn't because the bill had been paid the week before. To add to that the guy wanted me to pay an amount that was double my monthly bill.

I laughed and hung up, called TEP back, well the real TEP, I explained what had happened and they told me that several customers had called with the same complaint.

The problem is when they catch a customer that is past due, they give the money away to a scumbag, while their actual bill is still past due.

Before you ever pay someone who calls you from a company you normally do business always look the company's number independent of the caller, maybe google. With number in hand call the company and inquire about the status of your account. Do not pay the person who is calling you direct if legit you can get a hold of that same person using the company's real number.
Right. That's how I do. This scammer's caller ID was the gas company's number and the called ID was Centerpoint Energy... again, with the correct number.
I'm super cautions about this stuff. I don't use any links from emails, ever.
These thieves are getting clever. Not sure how they changed the caller ID and number to Centerpoint's name and number.
Ya gotta be on your toes.

Right. That's how I do. This scammer's caller ID was the gas company's number and the called ID was Centerpoint Energy... again, with the correct number.
I'm super cautions about this stuff. I don't use any links from emails, ever.
These thieves are getting clever. Not sure how they changed the caller ID and number to Centerpoint's name and number.
Ya gotta be on your toes.

Agreed