Weatherby Vanguard Deluxe

My grandson has a Vanguard in .270 Win which shoots 1/2 MOA at 200 yds with hand loads. Nice action, 24" barrel and you have a large choice of calibers. The Deluxe has a gorgeous stock and a price to match. Bud's guns has the Deluxe for around $850ish. Weatherby moved their manufacturing facility to Wyoming, but I don't know if they will begin the manufacture of the Vanguard there or continue having Howa build them in Japan.

. . . I don't know if they will begin the manufacture of the Vanguard there or continue having Howa build them in Japan.
I own an M1500 in .223Rem; made in Japan. Very nice rifle. Not that I want to buy a Vanguard, but I hope that whomever makes them-- wherever they're made--keeps them as nice as is my Howa. My next Howa will be a 6.5mm Creedmoor barreled action that will go into a chassis. I like the chassis idea: No inletting or bedding. Just tighten-down the action screws, attach a stock and a bipod, and head to the range with it...

Can anyone tell about this rifle? Are they accurate?
Accuracy in a rifle is rooted in the adherence of the chamber to the design drawings of the cartridge, and to the run-out of the barrel at the muzzle when compared to its concentricity at the mouth of the receiver. I had a receiver that had to have the threads recut because the muzzle was 0.018 inches off-center at 24 inches from the mouth of the receiver. Multiply that out to 1000 yards, and you're missing the target by multiple inches-- maybe by even a foot or two. I'm not smart enough to do the math...

Best I could ever do with the rifle as a 300WSM (SAAMI spec) before it was rebuilt as my .300-caliber wildcat was right around one-half MOA. My gunsmith put one of those long rods through the receiver and found the threads to be badly misaligned with the original center line from the factory. He corrected the problem, and now the rifle is a sub-quarter MOA instrument. It may not apply to all .30-caliber cartridges, but SAAMI specification for the .30-06 Springfield is .006 inches of total neck clearance. My .300-caliber has it at .001 inches total neck clearance. The case and bullet are very, very closely aligned with the axis of the receiver. That can't help but improve accuracy.

Your Japanese Vanguard will be built on the latest of six-axis CNC machines. Japan has thoroughly embraced high-technology manufacturing and high-quality standards in the products they sell. If I was going to buy a mass-production rifle for which I had no plans to pull the barrel and have it rechambered with a tight neck, I'd buy a Howa or a Vanguard made in Japan.

Last edited:
I use a Vanguard .270 for deer and hogs. At 100 yards it hits the same hole. The rifle likes sierra 140 gr gamechaners with H4831sc reloads close to the lands, no more than .02".... no more. Find you best charge and you'll should be happy

My son shoots a vanguard series 2 in 7mm RM very accurately!
Has killed several wt. Tail deer a 5x5 bull Elk (100 yard neck shot) and one ground squirrel at 400 yrds. :)
Bluing on gun could be better and is just a tad heavy to carry but he is young! And that helps tame recoil

Vanguard action = Howa 1500 action

nice rifles, i have a couple. 257wby and a 240wby, not in deluxe. but have a Mk V in a Deluxe. It's a beaut.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.