weatherby vanguard

mw185

Those who have purchased a vanguard with three shot group target attached, have you been able to reproduce the groups? Do you believe these targets are a true representation of the potential of a rifle?

My Vanguard shot better than the target showed. I do shoot reloaded ammo tailored for each rifle.
If your shooting factory ammo, some rifles will be fussy from one brand of ammo to the other.

I do not have the rifle any more, but my 300 WSM Vanguard(non SUB MOA) came with about 1/2" 3 shot group. I was able to get there or very close with handloads. Never factory.

My 270 wsm shoots as good as the factory sheet but after tinkering with loads to find out what it likes. I have also replaced the trigger, bedded the pillars, & floated the barrel.

My 223, that is still stock other than the trigger, gets a little testy at times. But can shoot as good or better than the shooter.

my 257 weatherby mag shot a group as good as most customs. I took several different loads but I had a .39" group. The triggers now are a different story, some ok and some not so ok. I would replace them.

Brent

I own the 257 stainless sub MOA version and it shoots about 3/4" at 100yds with the factory 115 grain bulletts that weatherby loaded last year. It still hold very tight out to 300yds. 200yds was 1.2 inch on a 5 shot group. 300 yds was 2.3 inches. I have not shot it much past the 300 yards to check it out. This is all with the factory ammo. I topped it with a ziess conquest 4.5X14X44 millidot scope. As it sets it a 1750 dollar package. I like it and I think it shoot pretty well but I do feel some of the custom builders on this form could probablly build a great rifle for this much.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.