Weatherby Vanguard, Boyds and Witt Machine

gohring3006

Put this together as a budget project. Going to see how it does tomorrow with some 208 Amax's and IMR 7828. (.300 Weatherby).

Attachments

• WP_20150821_17_35_51_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150821_17_35_51_Pro.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 145
good lookin' rifle. Give us some details on the specs.

Why 208amax when the Berger has the awesome 215 and 230grain hybrids? Don't get me wrong, the Amax is a great bullet and I shot them in my 300RUM but that was before the Berger hybrids came into production.

That's done very well. Shows that a really nice rifle does't have to cost a small fortune. I have had great success with that sort of thing.

Show us how it shoots.

That looks like it ought to run. My brother shoots a 300 Weatherby Vangaurd. It's surprisingly accurate for a rifle that kicks like a mule. I'm sure you'll enjoy that muzzle brake.

With the 208 Amax and 7828, that thing should run right up there with the 300 RUMs.

Let us know how she does.

good lookin' rifle. Give us some details on the specs.

Why 208amax when the Berger has the awesome 215 and 230grain hybrids? Don't get me wrong, the Amax is a great bullet and I shot them in my 300RUM but that was before the Berger hybrids came into production.
I mainly run the Amax for the economy. I have read in the archives of this forum, if you can get the Amax up to 3000 fps or above the BC will be close to .67 which is pretty good and capable of very good longe range accuracy. I will however be ordering some 230 Hybrids to try. I think the .300 Wby has enough capacity to push them. Another reason is my local GS stocks them so they are easy for me to keep them in stock.hahaha The 215 in my opinion isn't separated from the 208 enough at .300 Wby velocities to justify $25.00 more per box to switch. But the 230 on the other hand...

That's done very well. Shows that a really nice rifle does't have to cost a small fortune. I have had great success with that sort of thing.

Show us how it shoots.
Thanks Fred, I ordered the Score High Pillar Bedding Kit for the Vanguard, I installed them and glass bedded the action after a little relieving in the barrel channel for free float. (Not much though.) I picked up a Weaver 20 moa base and bedded the rear of it also. Now it shoots well under a inch . I'll have to get some pics of the target next time I'm out there. I'm really happy with it. It's easier and more gratifying to me to do these factory rifle upgrades and they shoot well. My wife is easier to convince when spending a hundred here and there, than dumping $3000.00 or more on a custom.

That looks like it ought to run. My brother shoots a 300 Weatherby Vangaurd. It's surprisingly accurate for a rifle that kicks like a mule. I'm sure you'll enjoy that muzzle brake.

With the 208 Amax and 7828, that thing should run right up there with the 300 RUMs.

Let us know how she does.

I think it will do well and hang with the Rums, not quite as fast but will hold its own.

Yea the dang thing kicked like a Belgian Work horse lol. That's why I thought I would try the Witt Machine brake. For $100.00 bucks I figured I'm not out much. It was a good move, I honestly can say it reduced the recoil down to my .243 or slightly higher. I will be ordering another for my 30-06.

Thanks Fred, I ordered the Score High Pillar Bedding Kit for the Vanguard, I installed them and glass bedded the action after a little relieving in the barrel channel for free float. (Not much though.) I picked up a Weaver 20 moa base and bedded the rear of it also. Now it shoots well under a inch . I'll have to get some pics of the target next time I'm out there. I'm really happy with it. It's easier and more gratifying to me to do these factory rifle upgrades and they shoot well. My wife is easier to convince when spending a hundred here and there, than dumping $3000.00 or more on a custom.
For all the reasons you said:
Personal satisfaction when you choose the components and do the work
Wife perception :D

I think it will run very well compared to a RUM. I use the 208 in my WSM, superb accuracy. Not as fast as you will be able to run. I have not yet tried the 208 in the Wby or RUM. I use A-Max in my WSM, 260 and Edge. Can't beat them for the price.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.