Weatherby stock shrinkage and action screw

As they say, "pictures are worth a thousand words." The english language is vague and often what you think you're saying is not interpreted the same by the person receiving it. Digital cell phone pictures that you modify with some arrows pointing to the subject area, etc. are cheap.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
"I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU THINK I SAID, BUT I AM NOT SURE THAT YOU REALIZE THAT WHAT YOU HEARD IS NOT WHAT I MEANT."
Here is the gap

Try again

Attachments

• IMG_2269.jpeg
    IMG_2269.jpeg
    263 KB · Views: 29
I wouldn't feel unconfident installing pillars or bedding it but I would question the longevity of the wood expanding and contracting against the bedding I guess is why I brought it up. Ive had very accurate wood stocks that weren't bedded

I should clarify on the gap of the rear tang. On this rifle the rear action screw is in the front of the trigger guard. The gap im referring to is that the tang has a gap when the action screws are tightened.
That rear tang gap is a Savage design. The 2 front takedown screws are doing all the work bedding the action.

I'm going to do some load work up on it as is and see what happens. It really feels like it's making solid contact where it needs it

I was just wondering about bedding and adding pillars to a wooden stock and thinking out loud lol
Adding pillars stops the crushing of the wood.
Bedding the action properly stops any movement (if any) of the action during the shot.
You could try pillars alone and see how that works.
Right now, it sounds like your stock has been crushed by the tightening of the action screws over the years.

Before putting pillars in, you can manually swell the timber back out by using heat and moisture.
If you do pillars, make sure it does not fill the space behind the tang, a split stock is to be avoided, the gap in the wood is required…

Cheers.
Not a good idea to add moisture. You will end up with the same issue when it dries out again.

Not a good idea to add moisture. You will end up with the same issue when it dries out again.
I know it doesn't, unless there is oil in the stock making it spongy, this is removed when it is drilled for the pillars.
Have done dozens of stocks like this…

Cheers.