Weatherby 7STW

Laker_Taker

Hello,
I just picked up a weatherby 7STW. I have 150 scirocco's and 160 accubonds. I have a wide variety of powder to work with. Does anybody have a load they would be willing to share? this is my first .284 so have not played around much with this caliber.

Thanks
LT

Hello,
I just picked up a weatherby 7STW. I have 150 scirocco's and 160 accubonds. I have a wide variety of powder to work with. Does anybody have a load they would be willing to share? this is my first .284 so have not played around much with this caliber.

Thanks
LT
Welcome to the brotherhood of the STW! The bullet weights you have chosen, usually perform well in this caliber. With the 150's, 7828 is a good place to start. Something in the area of about 78 grains. With the 160's, the same powder will also work well, but if you have H-1000, that may be the ticket. I have a rifle that loves RL-22, even with 162 A- Maxes. Experiment with primers! You would be surprised at what works best sometimes. Overall, the best three powders that mine shoot, is 7828, H1000' and RL22. Typically, coal usually runs at max box length. Most STW's are free bored, and I am sure that Weatherby carries the same tradition. The STW is a amazing round, that is usually not fussy, and normally you can get it to shoot well before the barrel is burnt out. Have fun and enjoy. This is truly a awesome hunting round, that shoots nearly as flat as a 22-250! And that my friend is flat!

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL. lightbulb gun). 7STW.

Hi Bob,

As you know I just got the sendero in the 7stw. I just ordered a box of 150 sciroccos too coming from Midway and a box of 162 amax. Thanks for the load data.

I also ordered some accubonds but in the 140 grain. Do you have a load for this bullet?

Thanks for all of your help.

Welcome to the brotherhood of the STW! The bullet weights you have chosen, usually perform well in this caliber. With the 150's, 7828 is a good place to start. Something in the area of about 78 grains. With the 160's, the same powder will also work well, but if you have H-1000, that may be the ticket. I have a rifle that loves RL-22, even with 162 A- Maxes. Experiment with primers! You would be surprised at what works best sometimes. Overall, the best three powders that mine shoot, is 7828, H1000' and RL22. Typically, coal usually runs at max box length. Most STW's are free bored, and I am sure that Weatherby carries the same tradition. The STW is a amazing round, that is usually not fussy, and normally you can get it to shoot well before the barrel is burnt out. Have fun and enjoy. This is truly a awesome hunting round, that shoots nearly as flat as a 22-250! And that my friend is flat!

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL. lightbulb gun). 7STW.

Ditto, hard to beat, I love my two.
Fed. 215m primers
78.0gr. IMR7828
160gr. Nosler AB
This load will plant deer at any range
FE:D

The STW can be picky to load for! Mine likes RL-19 with the 160 AB and H-1000 with the 175 PT and 160 TSX. It will hide 3 TSX's under dime at 100 yards. I prefer the 175 PT for hunting and use H-1000 at around 76 gr.

Hi Bob,

As you know I just got the sendero in the 7stw. I just ordered a box of 150 sciroccos too coming from Midway and a box of 162 amax. Thanks for the load data.

I also ordered some accubonds but in the 140 grain. Do you have a load for this bullet?

Thanks for all of your help.

That one is usually easy to get to fly, with RL 22. Mine likes 79.0-rl22 @3.675 OAL. Sometimes, the140's are finicky. But if your gun likes them, you are all set. I have also had good luck with 7828 with the 140's as well. Another bullet to try if yours don't like the AB, try the 140 ct, also a nosler. That bullets a lazer in my first Sendero. Deer don't like it worth a ****.

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL. lightbulb gun) 7STW

Ditto, hard to beat, I love my two.
Fed. 215m primers
78.0gr. IMR7828
160gr. Nosler AB
This load will plant deer at any range
FE:D

Fred, I shoot the same load in one of mine, except the bullet is a moly coated 160 partition. Deadly accurate, and just plain deadly. Smoked a fat doe a at 455 yd, frontal shot only. COMPLETE penetration. No bullet recovery, no tracking either. I have some 160 fail safes that I would like to try with same load. Man, if I can get those things to shoot, she'll be a BAD Hombre. ( as if it isn't now!) if I could have but one gun, it would be my STW, period!

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL. :D gun) 7 STW.

I just purchased an STW barrel for my Rem 700, hope to have it next week and on the gun soon. Ordered dies off ebay, not bad price about $27.00 + $6.00 shipping!! NEW! Never used the Federal 215's, but it seems to be real popular with the STW loaders, so I'll start there...It seems that 7828 & RL-22 are most popular...I REALLY like the 140 gr Ballistic Tips & the CT's in my 7 Mag...Want to shoot the 140 gr CT's in my STW... Planning to start out at 78grs of 7828 & go up from there...If they don't fly,,then maybe 160 gr CT's????? Never shot a STW but one time and that was in late 90's...so far 1 shot, 1 kill, big ole doe....Hope to keep it going that good!!!! LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.