WC872 powder question

remingtonman_25_06

I see this is new powder and can be ordered for $40 for 8lb jug. Thats what, $5 per pound. Great price. I just wanted to know a couple things about it. I know Mr. Allen uses and recomends it for his Allen mags but was wondering if anybody is using it for 300 RUMS and the such??? I am sick of paying $20 for H-1000. As much as I like to shoot my 300 RUM, it would be a great cost effective saving. Is the powder temperature sensitive?? How is the accuracy and velocity compared to other powders?? I was mainly looking at it to shoot with 200g AB's, 210g VLD's, 220g SMK's. Thanks for any feedback.

I tried w/some 210 gr bullets and couldn't get enough in the case to reach any pressure signs. Velocity was also way slower than Retumbo. Another thing is it's extemely temp sensitive. I would stick w/the Hodgdon if I were you!!

[ QUOTE ]
I see this is new powder and can be ordered for $40 for 8lb jug. Thats what, $5 per pound. Great price. I just wanted to know a couple things about it. I know Mr. Allen uses and recomends it for his Allen mags but was wondering if anybody is using it for 300 RUMS and the such??? I am sick of paying $20 for H-1000. As much as I like to shoot my 300 RUM, it would be a great cost effective saving. Is the powder temperature sensitive?? How is the accuracy and velocity compared to other powders?? I was mainly looking at it to shoot with 200g AB's, 210g VLD's, 220g SMK's. Thanks for any feedback.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.handloads.org/loaddata/defaul...&type=Rifle

Hope this helps

That guy used 112g to get roughly 3200fps with a 200g bullet. Not to shabby. Thats what I get with H-1000 and Retumbo. Hmmmm. I just dont want to buy 8lbs of it to find out that it dont shoot very good. Thanks for the info POP.

I do have 8 lbs of WC872 but haven't had the chance to use it yet. The truth is, if US869 turns out to be as good as I'm hoping, I'll probably never use the WC872. The US869 is a bunch more expensive, but if it's dramatically more temperature stable I'll pay for that.

I have used WC-872 in my 300 RUM with 200 and 180 grain bullets I used federal case and the 215 primer and 112 grians with the 200 grain bullets and 115 grains with the 180's got 3200 plus with the 200's and 3370 with the 180's.The 200were Accubonds,the 180 wer Accubonds and TXS

Out of a 30/338 LM Imp with a 33" barrel using 105grs of WC 872 I achieved almost 3200fps with the 240 SMK. It shot right around 10" for 10 shots at 1000yds with a flier or two making it that size. With out the fliers it would have 8-9 shots into 6-7".
Wayne aka WAMBO

I use WC872 as the powder for most of my varmint hunting loads. Great powder and it seems to be easy on barrels.

Like Wambo said, it will give you an occasional flier, so it's probably not the best thing to take to a match ( Unless you are shooting against me )

If you are shooting a 300 RUM, you might give Retumbo and H50BMG a try. Both have worked well for me.

[ QUOTE ]
jwp475

What kinda accuracy were you getting? Is your RUM a factory rifle or custom barrel job?

[/ QUOTE ]

My rifle has a Kreiger match grade barrel WC-872 in the 300RUM is quite accurate with top end loads doesn't do well until top end is reached those loads are heavily compressed, also I have never fired these loads in cold weather so I don't know how sensitive it is to tempature extremes

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.