want to try competition rifle shooting

it all depends on what you call "better"....

i like the varmint heavy barrel, as you start out with a target barrel. it is a bit heavier than the sporter profile, but from a bench or prone standpoint that's not a bad thing.

for off hand the sporter profile for me fatigues my muscles less, and if you choose to shoot silhouette, a sporter or "hunting division" barrel can easily be shot in "standard division" with the fancier tricked out stuff - but not the other way around.

the same goes for CMP rimfire sporter, where the sporter barrel comes in handy.

for NRA rimfire F class, the heavy barrel works better, not only for weight, but to control harmonics.

nice thing about the CZ is you can pick up a barrel package and replace the heavy varmint barrel with the sporter with somewhat minimal effort. or one of the custom barrels that are out ther by lilja, feddersen, and i've heardshilen is now making them, but not really sure.

i would highly recommend a replacement trigger, or a Yo dave trigger kit. for $18.00, i love my yo dave!

i would, and have, gone with the varmint barrel as my CZ was intended for more range prone and bench shooting work than competition.

i think i posted a whole bunch of stuff here on the yo dave and other CZ add ons that make life easier, including the DIP (diversified innovative products) extended magazine latch and aluminum mag well - all are well worth the extra few bucks. a search should be able to pull those posts up.

Another vote for the CZ 455 with Yo Dave trigger. I love my fullstock and being able to swap on a 17 HMR barrel has made it much more versatile as a longer range rimfire for vermin.

My brother's Varmint has some serious wood!

Yep the Full Stock is free floated. I was very concerned about that before getting a FS. I have always wanted a Manlicher since I was a little kid. Seems that everyone I talk to with a FS says the same thing they flat out shoot and don't even worry about the stock touching the barrel. Mine is more accurate than I am. My brother's Varmint is really nice too. Of all the options those two would be my suggestion. I really love the hogback butt stock of the FS.

What do ya know, I never would have guessed. Every time I look at them , they give me the willies. Because it looks like a problem rubbing.

If I shot one it would make me feel better. Might order the cz tomorrow.

Seen a ruger American with a cz barrel. Says never shot. Why would someone go through all that trouble and than not shoot it.

It looks pretty, but I'm reading between the lines and it says run.

Yep the cz varmint with fluted barrel, that's me.

Good read her for me. I'm also thinkin about getting a 22 with a big scope for informal target shootin. Just competing with myself. I have seen the CZs at the range and they look nice. Just gave my son the only CZ I ever owned a 550 458 Lott and it was a sweet gun. Question is what do yall think about the Hvy barrel Savage with accutrigger for just starting out.

I'd say what do you want to accomplish, and what distance will you shoot.

The savage will certainly shoot, but you might not achieve tight groups that you would with a cz.

It would be close I guess with good glass.

I'd say what do you want to accomplish, and what distance will you shoot.

The savage will certainly shoot, but you might not achieve tight groups that you would with a cz.

It would be close I guess with good glass.

All I would be doing is 25-50yd shooting competing mostly with myself but they do have some guys at our gun club that shoot 22. When you say good glass what power and price range are you thinking?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.