Vortex viper PST OR Sightron S-Tac

wnc-coyote

Ok guys, I have been doing research for a new scope. I have narrowed it down to either the Vortex Viper pst 4-16 SFP or the Sightron S-Tac 2.5-17.5. I have only been able to put my hands on the vortex. I like the feel of the vortex but have heard great reviews on the S-Tac. I do have some experience with Sightron SIII which have been very clear and tracking was spot on. I would love to hear if someone has hands on with the S-tac. The vortex i have played with was very nice i just am not sure about tracking. I have read lots of reviews on the PST but have seen only a few where someone has box tested. Can someone please share personal experience with either of these scopes.. Thank you

I have no experience with the Sightron, but I have experience with 2 of the Vortex scopes. I first started with the PST on my 7mm. It was absolutely fantastic. It tracked great, It held it's zero perfectly no matter how many times I adjusted the turrets for wind or elevation, the reticle is thin enough to not cover up your target at longer distances, and the clarity of the lens is great. I put 500 rounds roughly through the 7mm with the PST on the rifle. The only down side, was I chose too small of a magnification for what I do with the rifle. So I took it off and put it on my 243. I then purchased a HS. It is equally as impressive as the PST. It's basically the exact same scope at the PST, minus the illuminated reticle, and minus a little $$$. Both scopes are in my sig. I am sold on the Vortex Optics. I couldn't be happier with mine, and the warraty can't be beat. I've never personaly had any issues with my stuff, but my friend ran over a set of his binos on a hunt this year, and he said they were great to deal with.

Do you miss having the Illumination on your 7mm? Mine would be used for hunting and shooting steel/targets. I was thinking with the reticle being so small in low light it might really come in handy.

Do you miss having the Illumination on your 7mm? Mine would be used for hunting and shooting steel/targets. I was thinking with the reticle being so small in low light it might really come in handy.

Nope, I really don't miss it at all. I specifically purchased the HS over the PST because I didn't need the illuminated reticle. It's nice to have I guess, but I prefer the non illuminated reticle. I really don't have an issue seeing the reticle in low light conditions. I use both of my rifles for hunting as well. I shot a bull elk last year at 400 yards before the sun ever broke the horizon, and didn't even remember to turn the illumination on. Lol. I use the 7mm for elk and deer, and the 243 is a varmint rifle only. I'm working on a new load for it right now using the 55 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip Varmint bullets.

The Sightron glass is closer to the Vortex Razor glass than the Viper but other than that they both perform well dialing, 15 MOA per rotation with 80 elevation on the S-tac. I'm not putting down the Viper as it's well worth the money. You never really hear many complaints about Sightron and see a lot of them on the line. I needed the lower 2.5x offered by Sightron but found better low light performance and a higher power to boot than the 4-16x PST. Only downside is some extra weight but it's a 56mm illuminated so it comes with the territory.

Wedgy, I was assuming the glass would be a little better on the sightron. I am just trying to decide if I think it would be worth the extra $100 or if I should just go with the Vortex. Would you buy the sightron over the vortex if you had it to do over?

Yes, I would buy the Sightron because the glass is better AND it has a lower power for close in moving targets so it suits my needs. It is a little heavier but if weight isn't a concern and the reticle, second focal plane, is what you are looking for the S-tac is a better scope. This is my opinion but the glass is apparent when put side by side. If I didn't find the S-tac I would still have the Viper 4-16x as the Zeiss HD5 3-15x50 was a liitle short on elevation. I just ordered a VX-6 3-18x50 and the glass is superb in that line, yes outstanding but the turrets are mushy and take some getting used to but weighs in at 20 oz. They are also more expensive as is anything "better" should be.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.