Vortex or SWFA???

Lonewolf74

Aright guy's I've been doing a lot of research and want to buy what I would consider an entry level long range scope in the $500-600 range.

Through my reading I have pretty much narrowed down to these 2. The Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16x44 or the SWFA SS 3-15x42. Both SFP with MOA reticle and turrets. Another scope that I'm somewhat interested in is the Athlon Midas but I have heard mixed reviews on the turrets from Athlon.

The 2 things I'm most concerned with is good glass clarity and accurate, repeatable tracking.

So which would you choose and why?

Are there any others at this price point that you would recommend over the ones I have listed?

Both Vortex and SWFA will track. If not, they will fix them so don't worry about that.
The HS T has a wire reticle the SWFA is etched glass. I'm not sure if that makes a difference to you, personally I never had a problem with wire reticles from good manufacturers.
I have the PST 4-16 on a 338 Lapua, which the PST is etched glass reticle but it tracks spot on and takes the abuse of the Lapua just fine. I would not hesitate to use the SWFA for that purpose whatsoever.
I believe the SWFA has more internal adjustment than the Vortex, but both have plenty for most applications.
I do have a SWFA 10x fixed and love it. I love it so much, I wish I would have got the 3-15 SS instead of the PST..

Thanks for the input guy's I was sorta leaning towards the SWFA but I do have a few Vortex products that I'm pretty happy with. I do however want to choose the tougher of the 2 cus it seems I have a gift for breaking things lol.

Wish I was more familiar with mils and mrad because right now SWFA has a special on the 3 -15 but only in the mil/mil version. I would have to learn how to dial and such with either one but I do have a basic understanding of moa.

MRAD is just as simple as MOA.
I like to have a simplified process, where all of my scope are the same measurement.
Something to consider....

i have both. a SS 10x on my 700P and a 2.5-10x44 vortex on my LR308. i like the turrets better on the vortex. the glass seems to be about the same. i've never compared them side by side though.

i had an MOA SS 10x that i had to send back because the elevation turret would stay tightened down. i sent it back to them and they replaced it for free with a mil/mil. havent had any issues with those turrets.

my plan is to replace the SS10x with a vortex 4-16 or 6-24 because i need the magnification. these eyes aint getting any younger.

either choice would be fine in my opinion.

FYI...the swfa is an FFP according to their site:

https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-3-15x42-tactical-rifle-scope-3.html

i have both. a SS 10x on my 700P and a 2.5-10x44 vortex on my LR308. i like the turrets better on the vortex. the glass seems to be about the same. i've never compared them side by side though.

i had an MOA SS 10x that i had to send back because the elevation turret would stay tightened down. i sent it back to them and they replaced it for free with a mil/mil. havent had any issues with those turrets.

my plan is to replace the SS10x with a vortex 4-16 or 6-24 because i need the magnification. these eyes aint getting any younger.

The SWFA is available in either ffp or sfp I would like to stick with sfp.

Negative! The 3-15 is available in SFP and FFP, MOA and MRAD.

Have you looked at the Sightron SIII's?? Clearer than the Vortex HST to me, don't have an SWFA to compare it to. No frills, but repeatable turrets and very clear glass.

I have the same vortex on my .260. I am getting a very similiar swfa scope on Saturday. Ffp and mrad on the swfa though, but I am testing ffp and mil on a less expensive scope before I dive in deep.

I always liked the vortex. It has comparable glass to anything under $1000 and tracked true until it didn't. It was repaired and still rides the same rifle but the failure made me decide to start looking for something better.

That is a great warranty but the best warranty isn't gonna help you IF something fails in the middle of a hunt.

By all means I love vortex and haven't had a single issue with any of there products but I still wanna choose the tougher of the 2 and that REX video has me pretty sold on SWFA.

My one hang up is after seeing that REX video it looks like the turret knobs are huge on the SWFA. Not a deal breaker but it be nice for a sleeker knob so it doesn't catch on stuff. So those of you who have a SWFA are the turret knobs pretty big or did it just look that way? Are they big enough to have caused any cumbersome movement or snag and turn on brush?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.