Vintage hunting photos

I've been collecting some for quite some time so thought be nice to post up. Some of these bucks are Holy Crap! And yet no fancy camo. How could they possibly hunt like this?
Picture40.png
Picture41.png

"No Fancy Camo" - ain't that the truth! I think Fred Bear used to go out in a scotch plaid wool overcoat and his Fedora hat and had plenty of success. Maybe there were more animals, more skill or more patience and discipline, but these guys got it done, that's for sure. Very cool!

"No Fancy Camo" - ain't that the truth! I think Fred Bear used to go out in a scotch plaid wool overcoat and his Fedora hat and had plenty of success. Maybe there were more animals, more skill or more patience and discipline, but these guys got it done, that's for sure. Very cool!
Ever see the old pictures of TURKEY hunters???? Brown Trousers, Shooting Jacket, Bozman hat and a cigar or pipe. With a 12-10 ga SS.
That was the camo of that day. Turkeys didn't know the difference and couldn't smell.
It was said if a Turkey could smell they would never be shot!
The old time Indians would say:
If and ACORN fell from a tree:
A Deer would HEAR it falling.
A Bear would SMELL it falling.
A Turkey would SEE it falling.
I have hunted a lot of Turkey with a Bow. You cannot move. They can see you blink your eye from even in a covered position. My last 10 years of Turkey Hunting was with a Bow. Got several every year. Could not go back to a shotgun after my first Kill with a Bow.
Don't know how the Old Timers did it!

Love these photos . I wish my dads grand father could have somehow had a way to get pics from their old hunting camps in the early 1900's . He'd tell stories of leaving Webster county Wv to walk over and hunt the deer on Cheat mountain. According to him that was the only place there was deer at the time . You'd cut a track in the snow and follow it till you either killed it or ran out of hunting season . He told of several decent bucks being killed back then .

Him and my great grandmother raised 8 kids poorer than poor . Dads uncles all said they'd go squirrel hunting with just the 22 ,7-8 shells and that was the responsibility of the oldest to carry it , but the rest of them would throw rocks until the squirrel hit the ground crippled then get clubbed or got away . And that's how they hunted . Couldn't imagine doing that now . What a racket that would have been to witness

I remember when I started bow hunting in the mid-1990's. Not long ago at all (relatively speaking) but it seems to me that maybe Bow Hunting was just really starting to take off in terms of concealment and scent control. I was up in Western PA one day and encountered a couple of other hunters, just hanging out near an rock outcropping on a light line, smoking Marlboro reds with their bows in their hands. They commented that they hadn't seen anything yet. I didn't think much about it then.

Later in the 90's a good friend of mine invited me to bow hunt his property. He only hunted with guns. I remember getting set up one morning in a nice poplar shortly after 6:30. An hour later he walks into the woods with his poodle, looks up the tree and inquires: "Did ya see anything yet"? We both have progressed nicely in the sport since refining our skills and he remains a great friend.

I enjoy looking at old photos and imagining a time when priorities were significantly different than in my life time. I only saw one scope in the pics, and I don't believe the field of view was very wide. We probably wouldn't have any large game left if they had equipment like we have today.
Thanks for sharing.

Less pressure and more habitat…in the west anyways. No wolves for a good spell too.