Varmints of a Different breed.....

41mag

I have been reading post on this board for well over a year now, and even slipped in a word or two every now and again when I feel qualified for the topic at hand.

When I first found this site it out of a need for some long range information on hunting big game. Not that I will be hitting the western slopes anytime soon, but we hunt critters which are equallly tough to put down no matter what the range.

I started REALLY getting interested when I read post about folks hitting PD's and GH's out at 800 and 1000 yds especially when seeing the equipment being used.

Well our varmints are feral hogs. They generally range in size from 10 - 200 pounds on the hoof with several hitting upwards of 400+. Since they are so destructive not only to the neighboring food crops, but to pastureland, as well as the forest in general, most folks have a shoot on sight policy towards them. They are in no danger what so ever of becomming extinct in any coming decade. They are way too prolific for that.

So, since nobody I know of has posted up recipies for PD, or GH snacks or main dishes, please do not take offence to the fact that no matter how hard we try to keep what we can on these critters, there are just some that fall dinner to the rest of the critters in nature. IF we hit one bad and it runs off, we might look for it, but then again we might not. It is a judgement call at the time and place it all happens. IF one is hit and drops but needs finishing it is done as rapidely and humanly as possible.

I am posting this in responce to anyone out there who might be against this type of hunting, as in the near future, I will hopefully be posting up some really good hunting pics from extreme ranges, and as with other "VARMINTS" if we hit it and it gets away, it isn't a big deal. These are not in any way "GAME ANIMALS". If they are considered game in your state, well sorry, they will take over one day and ruin more ground than you can ever imagine. Everywhere I know of here thought they were nice to have around so let them get established so we will have them to hunt. Well now most are really regretting this type of thinking.

Anyway, Before I get fired up on my long range "varmint hogs" I just wanted to forwarn anyone that has problems with this to contact me personally with issues. My address is located in my profile, unlike many of the folks who always seem to stir the pot the most. Besides the info we gather from hitting these tough critters using whatever loads we use at the time might help someone else out on their decisions on what to use on a hunt sometime. I guarantee that busting a decent sized feral hog, and anchoring it in it's tracks, is just as tough as any other critter short of bears and nilgi. However we do it on a regular basis, and most if not all drop to the shot.

And to the moderators, if this is out of line, please feel free to remove it, and let me know what I did wrong. I have no problem standing corrected and do very much appreciate the privlidge of being able to come here and learn from those who are free with the info.

Thanks,

Please bring it on as far as I am concerned, it reminds me of my past years living in South AR. about 25 miles from the LA. line & about 50 miles from the TX. line. The country there is small rolling hills /piney woods & alot of hardwood swamps/bottomland just like part of East Tx. & N. LA. I was a member of & lived a couple of miles from a lease 5,000 acres or so & also hunted by the Felsenthal
NWR area, 65,000 acres of Swamp area. We had alot of hogs
& after my Deer tags were filled each year, I would kill Hogs. As you know, Sows & YOUNG boars can be good to eat
& I really miss that. Some were killed at a distance, but I killed alot in thickets with my Redhawk.
I live in the edge of the Ozarks now & I don't have any Hogs
on our place. In the Ozark National Forrest not too far from
here we have some Hogs, but the block of forrest close to
me is about 250,000 acres & they can be hard to find to say
the least.
I look forward to reading your stories!

Mike. Let fly, Len made this site for LR stories with a big no-no on ethical discussions. If you have a story to tell I for one want to read it.

We have some feral hogs lose in Wisconsin right now their in about 5 counties. The DNR wants them all shot, no lisence or season rules just kill them all. I for one could care less weather their shot, poisoned, or run with hog eating dogs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mike

Let's here what you have to say.

I've been down to Knox County a few times to try to get rid of a few of the hogs in North Central TX and they are as you say...vermin, tough and smart but vermin none-the-less.

Mike,
I got into hog hunting a few years ago myself and I can tell you that they taste pretty good after smoking them overnight in a New Branufels smoker! Good enough that my wife decided to get into hunting!!! If you ever need another shooter to tag along give me a shout. I live NW of Houston and am always interested in long distance hunting.

Mike
I've wanted to handgun for hogs for some time now, but just havn't got around to it. Can you get me info. on areas to hunt and so on.

Mike,

The only problem I have with hog hunting in Texas, is that nearly every land owner that I've ever talked to, wants some sort of "Trespass Fee" to come onto their property and hunt.

I refuse to pay someone for the "Privilege" of removing their problem animals.

Kaney,

Therre are a LOT of places to hunt here that aren't too expensive. Most charge some sort of fee as it is supplimental to their other incomes.

Tim,
The main reason folks charge for access is that they are trying to recoop something from the damage done as well as suppliment their income. Not to mention the way the law is set up here, if you step out of your truck on my property, and hurt yourself, I am liable. There are so many suits against folks for just that reason that most would rather not even chance it.

I understand your point completely however, I have been in the same position through the years. The biggest thing is to check out references for any trip before it is booked. Find out the numbers of game as well as the kill fee's and such.

I am at work now but when I get home this evening, I will post up a couple of links to a site or two which might help you out some.

As it stands now, I am simply helping out some friends try and keep things in check on their family places. I could shoot deer if I wanted, but the hogs are much better (IMO) not only tasting, but there isn't a limit on them. So it works out for all of us. I fill my freezer, and help keep them in check.

Since the first of Nov. there have probably been well over 50 shot and the grandson and I saw another pack of close to that saturday. Here is the one we did get,
2428996000043012562smcEsF_ph.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.