Varget 270 Win Reduced Loads

USAFRet

So, dealing with some medical issues causing me problems at the range with recoil. Has to do with head and neck pain. I was looking at reduced loads for my Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in 270. I know going with a heavier rifle would help, but this rifle is a gem I caught on an estate sale and it looked like it has never been shot. Before my issues started, it was driving tacks with Norma Whitetail.

Hodgdon says you can really reduce loads to 60% of max with H4895, of which I have none at the moment. Going to try and fix that this week.

Doing some cross-referencing, I am trying to find the least powder load I can use. I also want to use the same powder to compare the Hornady Interlock and Sierra TGK 140 grains.

The Hodgdon website lists Varget at a starting load of 41 grains for 140gr soft points (does not list a specific bullet brand). Sierra lists starting load at 45.7 for Varget. Hornady does not even list Varget as an option.

I would like to start at 41 grains of Varget for both bullets and work up in small increments to test velocity, accuracy and recoil. With Hodgdon's listing, is that an accurate assessment to go that route?

Thanks!

No experience with reduced loads in the 270 Win, but I will offer that another option is to shoot a lighter bullet. Full power 90-grain hammer hunter loads in my 8.5# 7 STW recoil on par with my 9.5# 6.5 creedmoor.

We load h4895 and 90 gr speer gold dot. Perfect combo for the kids. Runs around 2800' sec. Best wishes
H4895 is just not available at the moment. Just checked Ammoseek and my local - Defender Ammunition. Just need to understand if starting with the lower load of Varget would be acceptable, considering the differnce in Sierra and Hornady recommended loads, or lack thereof for Sierra.

From Hodgdon reloading center

Varget.JPG

Have you thought of having a muzzle brake installed. It will greatly reduce the felt recoil, although the noise level will increase. I would think that your 270 with the brake would feel more like a 243 Win. JMO

Have you thought of having a muzzle brake installed. It will greatly reduce the felt recoil, although the noise level will increase. I would think that your 270 with the brake would feel more like a 243 Win. JMO
My rifles are a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle and a Ruger No. 1. Both lightweight rifles with no threaded barrels. I have a HOWA 1500 that has a muzzle brake, but was sent back to Legacy Sports. Could only get a 4.5" group at best with multiple brands of ammunition.

In my experience with muzzle brakes is they did not affect the accuracy of my rifles ( if installed properly). Now point of impact was not the same when unbraked vs braked. I was just throwing that out there. Are you looking for a reduced load to hunt with or just plink.

In my experience with muzzle brakes is they did not affect the accuracy of my rifles ( if installed properly). Now point of impact was not the same when unbraked vs braked. I was just throwing that out there. Are you looking for a reduced load to hunt with or just plink.
Both. I like to shoot and every rifle I have is a hunting rifle. I can bump the load up if I get a chance to go elk hunting or something. Really looking for a hunting round with a more manageable recoil in my 270s. H4895 would do the trick, but it's like finding a unicorn.

A great short range load for varmint and coyotes (also paper punching) was one I got out of Ken Waters pet loads. 110 gr Sierra over 21 grs of imr4198 with a CCI200. I used a RP case with an OAL of 3.300. Velocity was 1750 ft/sec in my rifle accuracy was very good and recoil was non-existent. Great load for fun shooting or for those starting out.

There are a few ways to reduce recoil:
1-reduce powder charge
2-reduce bullet weight
3-reduce bullet and powder
4-increase rifle weight
5-muzzle brake
6-change out recoil pad to a Sims style
7-install recoil reducer in stock
8-have someone else shoot it

Personally, I would drop bullet weight from 140 to at least 117HH that is proven to kill effectively and run it at bottom end of powder charge weight. I will bet you will be surprised at reduction in recoil. If still not what you want, drop down yo 90 or 100HH's. They hit well above their weight.