Varget in a 270

Riflehunter1776

Why does my .270 like varget powder (with 130gr bullets) so much? It's a faster burning powder than a 270 is "supposed" to like, so why does this rifle shoot over 1 MOA with numerous "correct" slower burning powders, but tiny cloverleafs with Varget? Many books don't even show Varget as a choice in this caliber.

Now, I know the varget gives much slower velocity than, for example, Hybrid 100v, but with that one the group size triples at 100, and gets really bad at 300, where the varget is still nice and tight, albeit with more drop. I've shot deer with both, and they don't seem to know the difference when I hit them - typically they die before they have time to critique my choice of components.

I've heard suggestions that it's due to throat erosion in a 25 year old barrel. Anybody experience similar issues?

Don't know that answer, but does the same thing in my 25/06 with 117 gr Sierra Bt. As you mentioned, reduced vel but just great groups. Goes against all the laws, lots of air space in case , wrong burn rate etc.

What velocity are you getting, how many grains of powder, and how long is your barrel?

Barrel is a standard Rem700 BDL. I'd have to measure it later, if necessary.
I dont have it in front of me right now.
velocity is 200 FPS faster with a max load of Hybrid100V than with a max load of varget - around 3050 vs 2850.

Don't know that answer, but does the same thing in my 25/06 with 117 gr Sierra Bt. As you mentioned, reduced vel but just great groups. Goes against all the laws, lots of air space in case , wrong burn rate etc.
wow. that's even more extreme than my 270. I lucked onto a good combination for my 25-06 CDL: IMR 4350 powder with berger bullets.

Last edited:
That's the beauty of reloading, finding the right combination out of your rifle is the prize.

yep. Since 2012 when I picked up that particular rifle, I've tried RE22, 19, and 17. 4831, 4350, h1000, n160, h380 and win760. All were very meh.

Now, I have other rem700's, and they all shoot far better than this, so in the midst of this frustration, I decided to blow off some light bullets for a 6.8 that I had sitting around, and saw a load with varget in the book. They shot 1/2 moa. So I tried it with the 130's that I wanted to use. Tiny cloverleafs every time.

Later I tried h100v; it shot better than the other slow powders, but still not in the same ballpark as the varget. 200 fps faster though. go figure.

nevertheless, I am still interested if anyone knows a scientific reason why this rifle does not favor the powder it should like, but shoots lights-out with a faster powder?
anyone?

Last edited:
Barrel is a standard Rem700 BDL. I'd have to measure it later, if necessary.
I dont have it in front of me right now.
velocity is 200 FPS faster with a max load of Hybrid100V than with a max load of varget - around 3050 vs 2850.
Thanks. You got me interested. I have some 110 gr Barnes ttsx I'll have to try that on along with some 130 gr.

Barrels vary, especially sporter weight. Harmonics are everything.
I start with a ladder test to get the harmonics and then experiment with seating depth for best groups. Extreme spread in velocity is important to watch for.

Lower velocity loads USUALLY will give better accuracy at the sacrifice of down range performance.

You probably found the sweet spot for your barrel.

Out of my 8 270's, I have consistently achieved good velocity with R19 and a close second with H4831.

As one of the posts mentioned, that is the joy of reloading. If you are happy with your load, you will have confidence with your rifle. I believe that having confidence is extremely important in hunting situations as it is one less variable to be concerned about when you are squeezing the trigger on your trophy of your life time. Shoot the load you believe in. Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.