US forest issues kill order for feral cows in New Mexico

Where do i sign up? I have some families I could feed.
Bovine are not like elk and deer. While they are out there on the range, the meat is so tough and sour, you would need to put them into a feed lot for several months before it is fit to eat. The meat will be tough with very little if any fat on it, and if they have been eating sage, that is all you will taste in the meat. If you could herd the cattle into a pen or coral, you might be able to get enough grain into them long enough to make the effort worthwhile.

I hunted in the Gila in the 90s. Some of those feral cattle were down right aggressive. I camped North of Silver City. We set up camp in the back country. I'm laying in my tent and heard that low, quiet moo they do at night when they talk to eachother. Wake up to tracks where they creeped through in the night. Hunted the next day, got into camp around dark to find they'd ransacked the entire camp, trampled everything. Dented my truck even. Glad they didnt do that in the night with me in the tent. My brother saw the current ad and said we should go pack out some big tenderloin

Bovine are not like elk and deer. While they are out there on the range, the meat is so tough and sour, you would need to put them into a feed lot for several months before it is fit to eat. The meat will be tough with very little if any fat on it, and if they have been eating sage, that is all you will taste in the meat. If you could herd the cattle into a pen or coral, you might be able to get enough grain into them long enough to make the effort worthwhile.
Good point!!!!!!! buzzards have to eat also............
Excited Golden Retriever GIF by MOODMAN

People I once knew had about 50 acres in western WA state. Thick undergrowth, devils club, wild black berries, weeds, & whatever. Very difficult to walk thru, almost impossible. Then about 10 cows (cattle) were allowed to graze & after about 6 months the place looked like some type of maintained park. The cows then probably went to some feed lot before being slaughtered.

I'm not a hunter, so maybe it's just my naivety to the situation. But 150 cows grazing over 150 miles of land doesn't seem like that much to me. Considering the ecological benefits of their grazing by enhancing soil qualities and such.

I guess I don't understand why this is an issue in the first place. I get broken fencing and all that, but 150 cows?we're not talking about 10's of thousands of deer that are starving themselves out or feral hogs destroying entire farms in a couple days.

Am I missing something that makes this important?
Ohhh Yess,! And this is exactly what creates an. Invasive species!! 🤷‍♂️

Usfs couldn't pour pee out of a boot if direction's where on the heal
I'm actually friends with some of the Forest service people. And your right about the pee from a boot. But its from having to beat you head against the dumb a#% people from DC that have no idea what is really going on. They listen to lobbyists.

I'm actually friends with some of the Forest service people. And your right about the pee from a boot. But its from having to beat you head against the dumb a#% people from DC that have no idea what is really going on. They listen to lobbyists.
Agreed, the Rangers and USFS people i knew in the area were regular people saddled with govt overreach and badgered by granola kids that didnt even live in the area. Dont shoot the horses that trample all over there but be sure to shoot them cows.

They eat just fine, so I've been told😜.

Why not just open up a season for the public to harvest these Feral Cows?
Click the link below. US Forest is going to shoot from helicopters and let rot.

Why not? Simply because the people proposing the killing off are not thinking, but that is nothing new with bureaucrats and anything to do with the government these days. Heaven forbid the bureaucrats must be afraid that the cows will devour too much prairie grass and sagebrush. Everybody should at least try to contact their congresspeople and get this stopped and re-evaluated, the sooner the better, not that it will matter because most politicians don't bother to deal with us simple constituents until election time. :mad:

Why not? Simply because the people proposing the killing off are not thinking, but that is nothing new with bureaucrats and anything to do with the government these days. Heaven forbid the bureaucrats must be afraid that the cows will devour too much prairie grass and sagebrush. Everybody should at least try to contact their congresspeople and get this stopped and re-evaluated, the sooner the better, not that it will matter because most politicians don't bother to deal with us simple constituents until election time. :mad:
These feral cows are not on "prairie eating grass and sage brush". They're in dark timber harming some critical elk and deer habitat. So let's keep the Feral cattle that shouldn't be there in the first place at the sacrifice of the Elk and Deer herd? Am I hearing this right?