• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Unwanted barrels

LiveToHunt7

Good afternoon folks,

I am a new machinist with the intent and desire to get into the precision shop game. I have some basic machining skills already and am looking into expanding those skills into gunsmithing, which at the moment means chambering barrels.

If anyone has some old unwanted barrels they are looking to get rid of for a minimal amount, I would be interested. My goal is to practice on something that has little value before I start machining on expensive parts. Please let me know what you have.

Thank you.

Good afternoon folks,

I am a new machinist with the intent and desire to get into the precision shop game. I have some basic machining skills already and am looking into expanding those skills into gunsmithing, which at the moment means chambering barrels.

If anyone has some old unwanted barrels they are looking to get rid of for a minimal amount, I would be interested. My goal is to practice on something that has little value before I start machining on expensive parts. Please let me know what you have.

Thank you.
Great idea!
Unfortunately we only have a few blanks left that we use to mentor younger upcoming GS.
BUT if you need some guidance or questions, please reach out to us.
Len & Jill

When my Wilson barrel get in I will have a Remington 700 sa 223 rem in light bull barrel with around 100 to 125 down it. It shoots fine but completing a upgrade to Wilson. Looking for the wilson to be in in 3 to four weeks. If interested please contact me here and I feel we can work out a deal we both will like.
Thanks David

For threading tenons..... use mild steel rough stock to practice on.... a 6" piece will give you 4 practice sessions. For chambering get some ledloy steel. Same way.....
For set up... 2 ways to cut a chamber.... thru the headstock with an outboard spider....or with a setady rest.
Most take off barrels.... have very little room to rechamber....
Lotsa guys on this site will give good advice.....

You pay the shipping -I got lots of stainless barrels, like #4 & #5 contour, of various calibers. Some of which have lots of life remaining if chopped off at end of threads & refitted & chambered.

UPS costs should not be excessive. Get a PM to me giving me your location & I will research packing & shipping costs.

For threading tenons..... use mild steel rough stock to practice on.... a 6" piece will give you 4 practice sessions. For chambering get some ledloy steel. Same way.....
For set up... 2 ways to cut a chamber.... thru the headstock with an outboard spider....or with a setady rest.
Most take off barrels.... have very little room to rechamber....
Lotsa guys on this site will give good advice.....
Thank you.

I have some 1" round stock that I'm using now for just practicing threading and then will use some 1.25" stock to create the standard Rem or Savage thread pattern. I plan on either taking some 1.5" and turning it down and making a mock receiver to get an idea of my external thread quality or using a Rem receiver to check threads.

Chambering I will be going through the headstock with the spider as you suggested. I've seen both sides recommend a floating reamer holder vs. a fixed and from what I've been told by an experienced machinist, my lathe and most lathes you can't adjust the tailstock along the y axis. I'm working on checking the runout between the headstock and the tailstock using a 12-16" piece of round stock. As I understand it, if there's significant runout (+/- .003"?) a floating reamer holder is the way to go. This is more of a gunsmithing question so I could start a new topic over there.

Where are you at?
I have a Rem take off you can have to practice head spacing and crowns on.
If you're close I'd let you practice on a rifle that I want work done on. If it doesn't come out right no harm.

Where are you at?
I have a Rem take off you can have to practice head spacing and crowns on.
If you're close I'd let you practice on a rifle that I want work done on. If it doesn't come out right no harm.

Central Valley, CA.

Recent Posts