Understanding MRAD...

300shorty

Ok, I'm new to the long range hunting world so please go easy on me when I ask this question. I'm an MOA guy because that's what I learned first. I'm having a hard time grasping the MIL concept when it comes to making adjustments in the field to compensate for my bullet drop. The whole MOA concept just clicked for me because there was really no conversion I needed to make due to the fact that MOA is measured in inches as well as my bullet drop. However, I really want to learn about the MIL system. I've heard it's easier to learn and understand but the research I've been doing has just confused me. Can somebody please explain to me how it works and what I need to do to compensate for my bullet drop so that I can make the appropriate adjustments on my scope? For example...

If my bullet drops 38" @ 500 yds, how do I figure out how many adjustments need to be made on my elevation if my turrets are .1 MIL clicks?

Right...but how about at 200, 300, 400, etc.? If I did my math correct the following holds true for 1 mil?

2 x 3.6 = 7.2" @ 200 yds
3 x 3.6 = 10.8" @ 300 yds
4 x 3.6 = 14.4" @ 400 yds
5 x 3.6 = 18" @ 500 yds

Why are you worried about converting inches to mils? Basically any ballistics calculator will do the conversion for you. You just dial up to what the calculator says and hit your target.

Yes, I know. I just have a tendancy to over think things and try to understand the science behind it. As much trouble as I'm having in trying to convert SAE to Metric and vice versa, I think I'll just let the ballistic charts do the work!

Ok so heres your shooting solution which by the way is rediculous lol, but as you are overthinking i did the math. If you have to know i will be your huckleberry and hook you up.

In .1 mil would you would have to go 21 clicks.

Yards Drop ADJ.
500 -38.1 U2.1

Understanding the math behind it is really the key to it all. Interestingly the basic equation used to calculate the mil-hold is the mil-dot mil-RANGING formula, where the mil-reading now becomes the "mil-hold"--

38 x 100 / 3.6 / X = 500

X=2.1 mils.

kinda had thee same problem going back and forth,then it started to think its all just in inches,one click on my moa scope is .25"@100,on my mil its .36"@ 100 yrds. dont think english or metric just inch.the only differance really is the value of each click.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.