Understanding MILS with 1600b and Nightforce MIL Scope

wrlaub

Very new to the long range shooting but am loving it. My uncle gave me a gun he had built in .308. I did a little conversion to 300 SAUM and love to shoot it. The Nightforce scope is a 5.5-22 Mil reticle and turret. My difficulty resides in the conversion and understanding all of that to put the bullet where it counts. I purchased the 1600b because I cant afford the G2 and that is where my issues begin, not because of the equipment, just my knowledge or lack thereof.
Would appreciate thoughts or an expert on the 1600b to help understand its functions and programming, leica runs short in knowledgeable staff to assist.

Sorry to be so vague. Probably not so much of a conversion as understanding the settings of the leica 1600b and its function and using it with the mil reticle and turret. It's hard to explain in words for me but I will try. After the gun went from a .308 to a 300 SAUM I had a ammo guy build me a bullet. It liked a 168 gr Barnes TTSX, 3068 fps at 14 ', and he shot a .309 3 shot group at 100. Just to give you a little more background.
When I programmed the leica I am set at US, ballistic chart 1, zero at 300 yards, and the last setting has options of MOA, 10mm, 5mm, to list a couple. I spoke briefly to a leica guru and he claimed the 10mm is equivalent to the clicks on my scope, .1 MRAD? When I shot at 300 I was about 1.75 inches high pretty consistent, moved to 400 and it went to almost 8 inches high so that's my issue I guess. Not sure where to start adjusting or if it is possible using the leica?

Ahh i see now.
You are struggling to get the leica to provide the proper hold offs.

Im afraid i cant help much with setting the leica as i also use this rangefinder, but i only use it for a range reading.

I use ab mobile, for all my ballistic calcs. I also run shooter on my phone as well. Im not trying to urge you to give up on the leica, but i do believe phone apps in general, and especially these two, offer lots of ease and flexibility in editing rifle and ammo information as well as being very versatile in calculating firing solutions in many different scenarios. For about $20 bucks its a very good deal.

Canadian Bushman

is 100 percent right I'd use the leica for the range, temp, and baro and a good ballistic Calc for the corrections. The ballistic curves in the Leica are generic and will never fit your rifle and bullet like a true ballistic curve should.

Canadian Bushman

is 100 percent right I'd use the leica for the range, temp, and baro and a good ballistic Calc for the corrections. The ballistic curves in the Leica are generic and will never fit your rifle and bullet like a true ballistic curve should.

I 3rd that! Rifle, Leica and phone app. Used this setup all summer and now during deer season it's second nature. Once the deer appears and I identify it as a target, I can usually be ready to send a bullet in about 15-20 seconds.

I have everything ready to go before the animal shows up though. Atmospherics dialed in and ballistics program running. Good thing about using the phone is right at the end of legal shooting light I can use the screens light to see the scope turrets! :) JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.