Ultramount question

171farm

I'm in the final stages of setting up my reloading bench. I have a Husky 8' work bench and found that the mounting holes of my Redding press will line up pretty much right on the metal frame of the bench. I was looking at a few different mounting options and pretty much have my mind set on an inline fabrication ultramount. A hole still might line up but not all of them. Anyway, my questions are as follows: should I get the dedicated press specific or quick attach universal version and what height do you all prefer?

I like the idea of going with the universal but wonder how often you all are swapping tools out and if it's worth it from a functional perspective? Do you feel like you handicap yourself by needing to basically do all the prep and reloading in steps (I think this is how I'd prefer to load)…do all of one step and move on to the next step, demounting one tool and mounting the next? Or do you like having the flexibility of having multiple tools setup on the bench at one time and jump around between them as needed? Like having the trimmer and press both setup without needing to detach one tool from the mount and put on the other?

Then my next predicament is what height should I get? I think I will prefer to stand while using most of my tools that I would but in the mount so I think either the 7 1/2" or 9 3/4" would be fine.

I know everyone is going to have their own likes and dislikes but trying to get some input from others that already have the ultramount and what they like or dislike about their setup to help me come to a decision. Thanks for any advice you might offer

My best advice is to take some time and determine where on your bench you like to perform each reloading operation. Ask yourself whether you want to stand to trim cases or check case concentricity. If you do, then a quick change ultramount is the answer. If no, you would be better served with a dedicated ultramount for your press and a flush mount quick change plate for your other tools.

I have my R-7 press mounted in the 9-3/4" ultramount on the far right side of my bench and two flush mounted quick change base plates mounted in the center and far left side of my bench with quick change plates for my other tools. I'm 6'4" and the 9-3/4" height is the perfect height for standing at the press. The far left plate supports a my old RCII press for depriming and neck expansion and the vise, The center mount supports my bench primer, case trimmer, concentricity gauge, neck turner, powder dispenser, etc. I process in batches and find the quick change plates allow for more space on the bench when tools are not in use compared to mounting each tool in a fixed position. If you go with the quick change set up, be sure to get a bunch of storage docks to mount on the ends of your bench.

My best advice is to take some time and determine where on your bench you like to perform each reloading operation. Ask yourself whether you want to stand to trim cases or check case concentricity. If you do, then a quick change ultramount is the answer. If no, you would be better served with a dedicated ultramount for your press and a flush mount quick change plate for your other tools.

I have my R-7 press mounted in the 9-3/4" ultramount on the far right side of my bench and two flush mounted quick change base plates mounted in the center and far left side of my bench with quick change plates for my other tools. I'm 6'4" and the 9-3/4" height is the perfect height for standing at the press. The far left plate supports a my old RCII press for depriming and neck expansion and the vise, The center mount supports my bench primer, case trimmer, concentricity gauge, neck turner, powder dispenser, etc. I process in batches and find the quick change plates allow for more space on the bench when tools are not in use compared to mounting each tool in a fixed position. If you go with the quick change set up, be sure to get a bunch of storage docks to mount on the ends of your bench.
Thank you! That is some great advice. I'm going to take a hard look today to figure out what I think I want and then based off that and suggestions like yours will I then make a decision.

My bench is 9' long and all my presses, RCBS auto priming tool, powder measures and mini-vise are mounted to 3/4" Baltic birch plywood. I then clamp them to whatever location on the bench best suits the procedure I'm doing. In the beginning you may think you know where you like the above listed equipment to be located on the bench but you will see that you will change your mind and relocate them. Then what do you do with those unsightly holes in the bench? Plus, you might want to remove the equipment from the bench and use it for some other project. This method gives you options.

After a while you might just want to permanently mount the equipment to the bench but now you will know what locations worked and, most importantly, what didn't.

My bench is 9' long and all my presses, RCBS auto priming tool, powder measures and mini-vise are mounted to 3/4" Baltic birch plywood. I then clamp them to whatever location on the bench best suits the procedure I'm doing. In the beginning you may think you know where you like the above listed equipment to be located on the bench but you will see that you will change your mind and relocate them. Then what do you do with those unsightly holes in the bench? Plus, you might want to remove the equipment from the bench and use it for some other project. This method gives you options.

After a while you might just want to permanently mount the equipment to the bench but now you will know what locations worked and, most importantly, what didn't.
Great advice

I have my R-7 press mounted in the 9-3/4" ultramount on the far right side of my bench and two flush mounted quick change base plates mounted in the center and far left side of my bench with quick change plates for my other tools.
Basically the same, except I have the flush quick change plates and the ends, the center is open for powder setup. With the Inline Fab ergo handles I stand and don't need a raised mount.