Ultra highend optics: Schmidt Bender vs. others and some perspective

Dave7mm,
The benchreat fraternity here in the UK nearly all come from one area in the north west. There are about 30 of them and they were very cliquey. I was an outsider coming from another part of the country and a different club.

On my first match i took a second with a .268" agg and i was very pleased.
I was severly verbaly abused by the other shooters and this went on when every time i was successfull.
On my last day of benchrest after i had made the decision to quit i shot a British record breaker of .067" during a practice and with that i have never shot HV since.

By the way i served a 5 year apprenticeship in 1976-81 as a toolmaker and was a master machinist when i retired with ill health in 2000, so i too like to see nice machine work.
It is also because of my engineering background that i dont use Lee re-loading equipment, the quality is $hite, when i see the aluminuim and steel parts together it makes me shudder.
I have not touched a lathe or mill for some years now but i am working on creating my own workshop in the future.

Ian.

Pete:

Does S&B have a "custom" shop? Im looking at their 3-12x42 Klassik line, and Im wondering if I should sell my 1.5-6x42 and buy the one with more magnification.

I was thinking about adding a mil-dot reticle, and have them install target turrets. Would I have to contact the factory, or a seller where I live to have it done? Right now the 3-12 just costs 200$ more than the 1-6, but if its to expensive installing extras, I might have to wait a couple of months to do it.

Norhman,

Not Pete ...but I'm sure he'll correct me if things have changed:

Certainly 4 or 5 years ago, having S&B replace the standard hunting turrets with 'sniper turrets' was easy and inexpensive ....something like £45 /$70 per turret. ....bear in mind that these were the pre-PM2 style of sniper turret.

....I don't know if you could have PM2 type turrets put on.

.....having a mil ret put in one of their hunting scopes is also no problem.

Well i'd call S&B as a whole a Custom Shop.

as Matt said, yep they will change scopes to adjustable turrets, (not sure what the 2006 prices are but i can find out) and reticle change is also no problems, illuminated ret change is a bit expensive mind, there is all sorts of specs available,both illum and non illum. mildot is no bother, some of the special rets take a while to get fitted to certain scopes, ( im waiting on a 3-12 at the mo with an illuminated thats been a while, )

The PMII turrets are only available on PMII's otherwise you get the older type PM turrets.
regards Pete

[ QUOTE ]
**** it.. Chris is a Maclad !!
well she wore big nickers and she worked on't sewage farm !!

ecky thump !!

[/ QUOTE ]Thankfully Not

The truth is WORSE.

I'm a colonial West Indian born of Mac' folk (Headmasters son and Farmers daughter - sithee), raised in the WI, Herts and Dorset (Darzet! - Ahhrrrr), a euro-wanderer married to a Spaniard. Though it got very close to being a German /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Pete: I have cousin(sp) who is thinking about buying a S&B 3-12x50 Klassik.
He got a offer for a new one for 900 €. God? Or should I tell him about you?

I think the importer is "dumping" the prices on the Klassik line for the new Zenits. It looks like a very god price.

Im thinking of a 3-12x42 Klassik myself. Do you have price for these?

Oh, and I got info on changing reticle, and adding BDC here in Norway. 125 €, or 250€ for both. My question is, how much would it cost, if one order it from the factory allready installed?

Nohrman, 900's not a bad price.. the 3-12x50 and the x42 are the same price.
not sure on ret change prices,, i can check though..,
Regards Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.