TX shooter making the jump to LR shooting...

Muddskipper

New to the board from Texas.

I have been wanting a long range heavy bullet cal for some time.

You could say this has been on the drawing board for a few years.

Just did not feel right taking white tails out past 300 yards with my 22-250

Went back to the .300win mag this time. - had an older Wthby. when in high school.

Anyways- I started with the Remington 700 .300 WM R5 mil spec, with a stainless barrel.

Before ever firing the new rifle I took it to Aaron Roberts with Roberts Percision in Spring, TX.

And dropped another grand in it. He basically told me there was nothing left for me to do to it unless I re barreled it and blueprint it. But why do that, just have him build you a new one.

Seekins mount & rings are holding down a Zeiss Conquest 4.5 X 14 - I had Zeiss put a Rapid Z 800 reticle in it...two yrs after I got it..... I wanted to take out my errors when hunting.

Kept it simple with the trigger and got a timeny set at 2.5 lbs.....from the factory.

Last, I have a muzzle break on it from Tempular Tactical....so when I receive my stamp, it will be suppressed. The brake stays on it, the the can will screw in over it. Aaron has it on tight so when it heats up the brake stays in place when I clean the can.

20 rounds of cheap Winchester white tail 150 grn. During break in, and it was grouping nicely but not where it will be when I start to reload it.

I am looking forward to the 600 & 800 yard opportunities on the range

Plan on catching some range time next weather window and trying out some 190grn- BTHP Sierra. Match kings

And I can't wait to get some pointers on reloading from guys here....

Mudd, welcome to the forum. Plenty of info for your 300 WM here and on the custom search upper right on home page.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.