Twins update

G

Shot the twins today..
moved away from the VVN 560 and tried H4831sc since the burn rate is nearly the same...

shot the same load in each rifle...

h4831sc.jpg

RIC,
it looks like the barrel won't shoot no matter what you do,you otta think about rebarreling.i'll give ya 25$ for that barrel if you're just gonna throw it away.

Yup

They shoot as good as they look. Chris does it again! (no surprise) I gotta get a new rig...Why???? Cause Ric did /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Joe

gotta be honest here... those are 4 shot groups.. the cold clean bore shot is somewhere in the mix... I was really hoping for the CCB shot to be outta the group because I thrive on frustraition!!!

Velocity, it was real overcast yesterday so I didn't have the chrony set -up. I plan to in the future and I will give another update...
I think the .284 cal ( especially the 160-175 class of bullets ) is largly over looked so I plan to really experiment with it. you see the 150's and 140's being used a bunch even the 168's now and again but no-one really has stretched the big 7's

the barels on the rifles are crap... I really enjoy using a dozen or so patches just to get out the initial powder fowling. THese things are so bad that I only need 2 or 3 and then after running a brush down them I only need another 2 or 3 to have it clean. It really sucks cause I was hoping to use the barrel cleaning regiment as part of my daily work out.. I have to talk to Chris about this...
The other thing is the way he built the rifles is actually quite boring and now I have no idea what I will do... I planned on being aggravated and frustraighted by spending unGodly amounts of money buying 6 or 7 types of powder and way more bullets than I would ever use to work up a load for these rifles.. and now after 2 attemps .. I am done...

OH well I guess I'll order somthing different... I suppose if I have a yard sale on Sat someone might take them off my hands...

Yeah they really are no good, send em my way, ill even pay for shipping so you dont have to, for such filth. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

How much did you pay for each?

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="purple"> moved away from the VVN 560 and tried H4831sc since the burn rate is nearly the same...

[/ QUOTE ] </font>
</font>
Please tell me VVN 560 gives you higher velocity. I paid 8x as much as WC-872 just so I could burn out my factory barrels and have an excuse to send them to Kirby. Like you, I'm a demanding customer. When I pay the big bucks for a barrel burning powder I expect results.

BTW, if the tests work, I'll have a few factory barrels that will satisfy all your demands /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

big bore...
not sure on the velocity yet.. but the 4831 feels faster.. sharper kick anyway.

I understand what you mean.. if you buy somthing thats gonna wreck your rifle at least wreck it with some enthusiasm!!! Not usre if VVN 560 really does or not but I have has such good luck with Hogdon powders that thats where my confidence is...

the load in the groups is as follows

H4831SC 64.5 grs 162 gr A-MAX seated to just touch the lands.

I have tried seating a-maxs off .005 .010. 020 but they really like to be just touching or just a hair into.

Ric,

Looks great. Glad to see some photos of the groups. Tired of hearing about shooting rocks at ultra long range.

Lance

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.