FILSON UPDATE

Ian M

I look at really good outdoor gear as being the same investment as really good optics - you just have to bite the bullet and get some to understand why it is worth owning. Not sure how many guys here use FILSON products - pricey but worth every penny in the long run. I have been accumulating Filson gear for years, the stuff never wears out.

They just announced pure wool camo - Double Macinnaw jacket, bib over-alls, pants, hats, and vests. Woollen camo patterns are not as sharply defined as cottom fabric etc. but camo is camo to a degree. Fantastic quality, super warm stuff.

Another fantastic new product for traveling hunters is a large duffle bag with a heavy set of wheels at one end, drag handle at the other. Very good for wheeling through airports. Filson used roller-blade wheels that are replaceable.

My most used Filson bag is called the Outfitter Bag. It is a two layer duffle, the bottom accordians flat when not in use. The bottom is large enough for boots and lots of other stuff when you need extra room. This bag is about the right size for most hunting trips, particularly if you must keep weight down.

Just thought some of you guys might be interested in travel gear.

Hard gun cases - that is another story. I have them all and find that the best is the big Tuffpack, it is in a category all by itself.

Ian, I have to admit I've retired most of my Filson stuff for gore-tex and polypropelene. Woolrich has some interesting hybrid wool/poly stuff now. I've always wanted to try the King of the Mountain Wool camo stuff but it's very pricey. I do a lot of pheasant hunting in the winter. When covering many miles weight is an issue and the Filson stuff is so heavy. Plus, you can really get overheated if you cant re-layer throughout the day. It can be so cold when you start out in the dark at 5:30AM and your blood isn't pumping compared to the warm sunny afternoons. I suppose we could get a great thread going on Natural VS Synthetics when it comes to winter gear...

R

Good point, I use some of both - there is nothing wrong with layering the two. Personally I prefer the wool because it is so quiet and pretty water-proof, stays reasonably warm when wet. They claim that good wool stuff gets more moisture repellant as it gets used - tightens up the weave. I always wear Cabella's Thermax understuff and socks, to wick moisture away from the skin. Works great.
King of Mtn is superb but I am not sure that it justifies the higher cost over Filson.

Hey Ian, when I was a kid, and helped dad with breaking horses, about 60 head in january, he purchased some filson rain gear made for the "horsemen" to get through the nasty weather up here. It just made it through ONE season. Not very good for as expensive as it is! He has had better luck with Helly Hanson rain gear. Have you ever tried Sleeping Indian? Very expensive also. littletoes.

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.