Turkey Hunting in Arizona Units 4A and 4B

LVJ76

Hello everyone

My wife and I got drawn for out first ever turkey hunt, and we have never hunter turkeys before here or anywhere.

The problem is with work and family we have not been able to do any scouting, but we might be able to go up there in a couple of weeks for a day, but that would be it.

We are some what familiar with the area by the Rim. We spend a week every summer at Woods Canyon Lake, and have done some driving around in the forest roads near the lake, besides that don't know what to expect.

It's the fall hunt, so any turkey is fair game.

What kind of terrain/food sourse should I be looking for. Like other animals, do they hang around water?

Thanks in advance for any advise you can give.

Luis

Not hunting in units 4 but turkey are fairly easy to call . I'll be hunting in 6a . Turkey will come to water but are on high alert when they do come in . I used a simple box call to locate birds . Absolutely pay attention to what's around . Keep your back to a tree as you sound like food . I called a bear in on my first hunt while working a bird .

Yes, oak trees, water holes where you will see sign and if there are snow banks still left they will feed on new growth along the edges. They like insects. It's covered a bit on the AZGF web page under where to hunt and by unit and species.
They won't be calling except maybe to communicate lightly.
Light hen calls I think is all you can do.

Not hunting in units 4 but turkey are fairly easy to call . I'll be hunting in 6a . Turkey will come to water but are on high alert when they do come in . I used a simple box call to locate birds . Absolutely pay attention to what's around . Keep your back to a tree as you sound like food . I called a bear in on my first hunt while working a bird .

Yes, oak trees, water holes where you will see sign and if there are snow banks still left they will feed on new growth along the edges. They like insects. It's covered a bit on the AZGF web page under where to hunt and by unit and species.
They won't be calling except maybe to communicate lightly.
Light hen calls I think is all you can do.

Thank you for the tips gentlemen.

I do have a box call, and also an electronic call, both that my dad used to hunt turkeys in Mexico every May some time ago. Although it isn't breeding season, I do plan to use them.

We will definitely keep an eye out for other critters.

Thanks again and God bless

Luis