Turkey hunting and calling in New Mexico

wildcat westerner

Hello,
I am new to turkey hunting and hunt with and 89year old serious hunter who loves to turkey hunt.I have my first Tom with a 9 1/2" beard. We hunt in the northern Rockies in NE New Mexico and I have been told the type of Turkeys we hunt is called the Rio Grande turkey. I have been told about a lot of calls for my I phone and have downloaded an app. Now, Ineed to learn much more about these birds, which calls are best for the Toms in our parts of the Rockies, and when to use all these calls. This seems a heck of a lot more involved than elk bugling.
Thanks in advance,

Gene S.

Hello,
I am new to turkey hunting and hunt with and 89year old serious hunter who loves to turkey hunt.I have my first Tom with a 9 1/2" beard. We hunt in the northern Rockies in NE New Mexico and I have been told the type of Turkeys we hunt is called the Rio Grande turkey. I have been told about a lot of calls for my I phone and have downloaded an app. Now, Ineed to learn much more about these birds, which calls are best for the Toms in our parts of the Rockies, and when to use all these calls. This seems a heck of a lot more involved than elk bugling.
Thanks in advance,

Gene S.
I guide for Osceola turkey here on Florida and can tell you 90 percent of killing a bird is knowing where the turkey's want to be. Learn a mouth diaphragm,it takes practice (Fred Cox) from mid west turkey calls. You can call them they know their stuff . I use them and an slate pot style call send a pmif u have questions

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts