Tubbs firing pins

kfrye

Just wondering what the general consensus was on the speedlock system on the M700 Rem and the WBY MKV?

Thanks,
Ken

boomstick, I've used the lightened pins & heavier springs in competition. They do in theory speed up lock time. I've always worried on breaking a light pin in my hunting rifle. I usually install a heavier firing pin spring and call it good. Just my concern. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

A lighter weight firing pin and stronger spring will shorten lock time. That's grade school physics.

One can also replace just the spring with a stronger one and that's good, too.

A faster lock time helps best when your shooting position is least stable; standing without a rest. The more stable your shooting postion gets, the less important a shorter lock time is.

I have them on 3 or 4 rifles and was really pleased with the results.Every little bit helps in the long run. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have one in a Rem 700 and one in pa-in-laws Savage seem to work well , woulden't realy say that they have cuts the groups down any (light short range guns)
But I will say that from now on I'll be using Greg Tannel's firing pin and spring setup , its about half the price and the spring is closer to the pin so it won't bind in the bolt .

I've delt with about 5 or 6 of the Tubbs firing pins and the only problem I've encountered was with the last one, the spring shattered into 10 pieces after about 7 or 8 dry fires. This was a couple years ago and the replacement has worked fine.

At the Shot Show last week,I spent a lot of time at Dave Kiff's (Pacific Precision) display.He showed me his firing pin system,and he's offering one that's been fluted and lightened.He sells the entire system-ultralight firing pin,special spring,and a bolt shroud with about 6 or 7 choices of finishes for about what Tubb sells his firing pin and spring alone for.I ordered 2 of them myself.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.