TTSX 7 Rem Mag.

25 Otter

Anybody here have instrumental valocities from a 24" barrel with the TTSX in a 160gr,from a 7 Rem Mag? I'm looking for good velocity/load from a 24" pipe. Thanks a bunch.

I have never shot the 160TTSX over my chronograph but I have shot the 160 TSX, and I think they should be the same except for the tip. I have played with two powder when loading for my Ruger Mark II in 7mm Rem Mag., and I have gotten close to the same velocity with both. I am now loading more RL-22 than H1000 but both will work to produce velocities in the 2950-2975 ft/sec range out of a 24 inch barrel. I just checked the Alliant web and they give a load for a 160 grain Speer bullet that is close to what I have used with the 160 TSX. Start low and work up and you should be able to find a load that gives you good velocity as well as good accuracy. The Alliant web site shows 2976 ft/sec as the top velocity with RL-22.

Thanks Shortmagman. I'm a big user of RL22. I've got a can of H1000 here to play with in the 300RUM,but never really got into it. I need to give it an honest try. I like Alliant powders. I've written in the past I could live with just RL22 and RL19 if need be. RL15 and 17 are handy to have around as well. You know,I never really planned to get into this 7 Remmy mag. It just sort of happened. I've always found other rounds that were either better suited to the 150gr and smaller pills,or the 165gr and up. I picked up a Tikka T3 last Nov,and it wormed it's way into my heart. Still not real impressed with the velocities for it being a belted mag,but I like what you have found with the RL22 in the 24: barrel. Thanks again for sharing it,25 Otter.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.