Trying to post scope question

Sorry if I'm doing this wrong hope this will work for number 3. David
Two posts since 2009?
Yes only today usually figure things out have a lot of knowledgeable friends jus don't have an answer to this question on page 2 why scope takes less clicks from 500 to 600 than from 4 to 500. David Ranes

Go ahead and ask the question with more detail in the scope section. I'll be glad to help if I can, as well as others.

Your answer to your question is that the farther out you go your clicks move your reticle more. For instance a quarter inch click at 100yds is a half inch at 200yds. You are adjusting from your zeroed distance to move your point of aim up at target distance. I think if you check you will see that there is likely more clicks needed to adjust from 5to 6 then 4 to 5 . Not agreat expanation but some one here will clear it up for you.

Your answer to your question is that the farther out you go your clicks move your reticle more. For instance a quarter inch click at 100yds is a half inch at 200yds. You are adjusting from your zeroed distance to move your point of aim up at target distance. I think if you check you will see that there is likely more clicks needed to adjust from 5to 6 then 4 to 5 . Not agreat expanation but some one here will clear it up for you.
The come up clicks were less from 5 to 600 than from 4 to 5 on three different scopes they were third moa scopes didnt know if that was the reason took 3 clicks less 600 to 700 was back to normal. Thanks David

The come up clicks were less from 5 to 600 than from 4 to 5 on three different scopes
Are you actually shooting these distances and dialing to get the number of clicks? In my experience that is way off, and it will always take increasing size corrections. Example: The correction from 500 to 600 will always be larger than from 400 to 500. This isn't a function of which scope; it's simply: "the bullet drops more".
they were third moa scopes didnt know if that was the reason
Could you clarify this? Are the scopes adjustments 1/3 moa per click? This doesn't make any difference in your question. It only makes a difference in how many clicks it takes to get your correction. E. g. for 4MOA it takes 12 clicks on a 1/3MOA/click and 16clicks on a 1/4MOA/click scope.

Here's an example of a typical drop table. Notice the difference in clicks keeps getting bigger.
100yd 0.00MOA 0.0clicks
200yd 1.09MOA 4.4clicks
300yd 2.99MOA 11.9clicks (7.5 clicks more than 200yd)
400yd 5.18MOA 20.7clicks (8.8 clicks more than 300yd)
500yd 7.66MOA 30.6clicks (9.9 clicks more than 400yd)
600yd 10.35MOA 41.4clicks (10.8 clicks more than 500yd)
700yd 13.32MOA 53.3clicks (11.9 clicks more than 600yd)

You get the drift. It will always take more MOA (clicks) correction for the same interval the farther out you go.

Make any sense?.?

Yes sir it should take more clicks at each distance we are shooting at each yardage to verify our clicks one scope is a huskemaw 2 are leupold greybull precision scopes a friend also had the same thing where he had gained clicks from 500 to 600 normally gain 2 clicks or so per hundred not lose clicks like we have don't know how to explain better but I appreciate you trying. David

Say it takes 5 clicks from 200 to 300 from 300 to 400 six clicks from 400 t0 500 eight clicks from 500 to 600 back to six clicks sent one scope to leupold put new erector in it done same thing called Greybull said send it back sent me a new scope done same thING can't explain it because it should gain 1 to 3 clicks between yardage not loose clicks the range is verified from 600 to 700 goes back to gaining clicks just wondering if anyone else has seen this two 3rd moa huskemaws do same between 500 and 600. Thanks. David

Yes sir it should take more clicks at each distance we are shooting at each yardage to verify our clicks one scope is a huskemaw 2 are leupold greybull precision scopes a friend also had the same thing where he had gained clicks from 500 to 600 normally gain 2 clicks or so per hundred not lose clicks like we have don't know how to explain better but I appreciate you trying. David

Can you post your drop table and the click value that the scopes you use are doing? I think I got what you're saying. Just want to verify.

You said the distance is verified, while I'm not doubting you, I can only think of 3 things to cause this.
1: scope tracks inconsistent. But you've seemed to dealt with that already.
2: yardage is incorrect, but you said it's "verified"
3. Angle. This is the ONLY other reason I could fathom for this to happen. I don't know how your range is set up, but if you're changing target position, meaning shooting down into a valley or up a rather large mountain or hill vs the other targets being near "0" angle/incline. Or going to a much higher or lower shooting position.

Other than that I am kinda thinking it's ALMOST impossible.

You said the distance is verified, while I'm not doubting you, I can only think of 3 things to cause this.
1: scope tracks inconsistent. But you've seemed to dealt with that already.
2: yardage is incorrect, but you said it's "verified"
3. Angle. This is the ONLY other reason I could fathom for this to happen. I don't know how your range is set up, but if you're changing target position, meaning shooting down into a valley or up a rather large mountain or hill vs the other targets being near "0" angle/incline. Or going to a much higher or lower shooting position.

Other than that I am kinda thinking it's ALMOST impossible.
My thoughts exactly, if range is verified, the terrain where the target sits is elevated some letting a shooter relax his form therefore free recoiling the shot.
The range I use the most goes downhill to 300 yards then levels out, at around 900 yards you are close to shooting level again. So at 800 or 900 yards if you are not cognizant of it, inadvertently most shoot high. A simple raising or lowering one leg of a bipod forces you to get behind the rifle and load the bipod. Yet most will just crank a turret down instead of thinking fundamentals.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.