Trying to outshoot 7.62 X 39 with .223

Pureblood

I have 7.62 X39 that will shoot 1/2" groups with at 100 meters with military projectiles. I want to be able to at least match that with a .223 which in theory should not be difficult.

I tried four different bullet weights today , best I got was 1" with 40 grain Hornady V max and 28 grains of CFE 223. I already knew the rifle would shoot 1 moa with 40 grain bullets as that's what I got using 40 grain Nosler Trophy ammo.

This is what I got on todays session.

IMG_5946.JPG

I will try different powder charges with one bullet type per session moving forward.

IMG_5953.JPG

Last edited:
What is your 7.62x39 set up???? I want it
Also why 40grns? why not some 69-77gr HPBT or SMKS you should get much better results as unless you have a very slow twist barrel

Basically +1 to Grizz his message had not loaded until I hit submit

What is the barrel's twist rate? CFE-223's quite slow, so I wouldn't pair it with 40 grain bullets. Actually, I wouldn't choose 40 grain bullets at all.

Using SMKs should allow you to meet the performance you're getting from lousy mil surp projectiles.

I also suggest using a decent optic.
I don't know what the twist rate is, but I will find out. It's early days but it seems to like 40 grain projectiles best so far at least.

If I can shoot 1/2 " groups with milsurp projectiles they are far from lousy :)

The scope is great !

The barrel twist is 1 in 8 "

Last edited:
What is your 7.62x39 set up???? I want it
Also why 40grns? why not some 69-77gr HPBT or SMKS you should get much better results as unless you have a very slow twist barrel

Basically +1 to Grizz his message had not loaded until I hit submit
I'm trying 4 bullet weights, 40 grain. 55 grain, 62 grain , and 69 grain.

The 7.62 X 39 ammo is Military surplus bullets and powder in commercial brass cases with non corrosive primers.

4 shot 1/2" group at 100 meters

IMG_5892.JPG
IMG_5890.JPG

Last edited:
Seeing that your reply to my "dog trainer recs" post was to essentially "buy a Brittany Spaniel" I'll return the favor...buy a better rifle/scope👍
Thanks but I am selling my Leupold scopes to buy Spina scopes. At the end of the day it's the result that counts.

Spina scopes are are great, and so are Brittany spaniels. I have tried both, that's how I know:D

I'm trying 4 bullet weights, 40 grain. 55 grain, 62 grain , and 69 grain.

The 7.62 X 39 ammo is Military surplus bullets and powder in commercial brass cases with non corrosive primers.

4 shot 1/2" group at 100 meters

View attachment 549486View attachment 549489
Is this the only picture in your phone? I've seen 3 or 4 of your posts now and this same "4 shot group at 100 meters" keeps popping up. I've got wallet groups also, but don't post them on here. They happen every now and then, but you talk as if this 7.62x39 can throw them down any day of the week? So let's see then tomorrow and the next day and the next? I'm sorry, but I'm just questioning some of your reloading practices and the information you are giving out to other members?

Is this the only picture in your phone? I've seen 3 or 4 of your posts now and this same "4 shot group at 100 meters" keeps popping up. I've got wallet groups also, but don't post them on here. They happen every now and then, but you talk as if this 7.62x39 can throw them down any day of the week? So let's see then tomorrow and the next day and the next? I'm sorry, but I'm just questioning some of your reloading practices and the information you are giving out to other members?
I have two WK181 rifles. The reason I bought the second was because I wanted to preserve the first one as I thought it was a fluke once in a lifetime rifle. It turns out I was wrong, the other one is just as good.

I might post more pictures in the future, but only if I feel like it. ;)