Tripod recomendations

mtelkhntr78

I am in the market for a new spotting scope and tripod. I have figured out which scope I want but I am lost when it comes to tripods.

Does anyone have recomendationson a tripod I should get. I do a decent ammount of backpack hunting so I am not looking for somthing to heavy and can be compact.

Any advice on brands? Composition-Aluminum/carbon fiber? Other extras?

Any of the Bogen Manfrotto carbon fiber ones are great. they are fairly lightweight and fantastic in windy conditions.

Look at the Outdoorsman tripods. They are out of Phoenix, AZ. I have had mine for two years and it is great. I have their pistol grip as well. Looking for Coues all day long you want a sturdy tripod that is light weight and this is the ticket. I have the medium tripod with the extended post.

Last edited:
+1 on the Bogen - Manfrotto tripods. I have two in different heights, both mine are aluminum rather than carbon fiber. I made a rest that pops on and off easily and use mine to shoot off of as well...... works great.

Make sure you invest in a good head for the tripod. You can expect to spend upwards of $100 for a decent one and can easily spend much more. I have not used the Outdoorsman tripod or their pistol grip head, but I do not like the Bogen - Manfrotto pistol grip head. The standard two axis head where one axis spins 360, and the other axis rotates vertical is much more smooth to me and is more comfortable for long hours glassing for elk. Again get a good one with teflon clutches.

I had a manfrotto, and went to outdoorsman about 10 yrs. ago, medium model. That I later cut to small, I pack in tough terrian, pistol grip for it also.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts