Binocular recomendations, PLEASE!

Superlight17,
I suggest you look thru various bino's to see what you feel are comfortable, carriable, quality you looking for by visiting various camers shops as thety usual have bino's in stock. I don't know how close you are to towns but go visit a few. I went to six different shops to look, see, hold. I finally bought the Lieca Ultravids for the rest of my life and my sons. Visit the websites of manufactures to understand designs. I had Pentax SP's before the wife offered to buy the Leicas as she knew I had totally confused myself for 6 mo searching/looking. Nothing wrong w/Pentax they were and are great glass, but how could you turn down a pair of Leicas. A coworker has the Pentax's now and is thrilled with them as was I for awhile.
try this site for prices checking:
http://www.hotbuyselectronics.com/pentax_binoculars.htm

http://www.hotbuyselectronics.com/pentax_10x50_pcf_wp.htm

123.99 + shipping = <$175.00 and they are waterproof, fully coated 10x50

The PCF WP line features six high-performance, waterproof models including the 8x40 PCF WP with 40mm objective lens; the 7x50, 10x50 and 12x50 PCF WP, each with 50mm objective lens; and the 16x60 and 20x60 PCF WP, both featuring an extra-large 60mm objective lens.
The waterproof and fogproof body of these PCF WP models is rated JIS Class 6 (submersible down to 1 meter depth of water), allowing them to be washed clean when they get dirty or are accidentally soaked in salt water.
They have fully multi-coated optics to eliminate harmful ultraviolet rays while improving light transmission for high contrast images with no glare or flare.
High quality BaK-4 prisms transmit more light at the edges to enhance illumination for easier viewing in dim light.
All models incorporate aspherical optical elements to produce clear, bright images with minimal distortion.
All models feature a long eye relief of 20mm or longer, making it easier for the user to see the image even when the eyes are moved away from the eyepieces. This feature is especially convenient for those who wear eyeglasses.
A mechanical focus lock feature allows users to lock in at a specific distance for convenient focus-free viewing.
Click-stop diopter adjustment locks in right eyepiece diopter setting.
Ruggedly constructed with rubber covering to protect the optical and mechanical systems.
The rubber slide-style eyecups are easily pulled out providing easier image viewing for eyeglass wearers. In addition, the eyepiece caps are designed to double-function as rain shields to make viewing easier in the rain or snow.
Combine the built-in tripod socket with a tripod and the optional Tripod Adapter-N to stabilize the binoculars and prevent unwanted shake, making extended observations easy and comfortable.

Superlite, go to Bigbinoculars.com. Last year I got a pair of Oberwerk 11-56 just to throw in the truck and 4-wheeler. For the price, I was amazed

I agree with Rick Horst. When you're hunting the most important thing you have to do is find the animals. Your binos are what will help you do that. When I first started hunting I bought a cheap pair of binos. We went out scouting and found where a herd of elk lived in the summer. We got excited and spent about 3 or 4 hours watching them. Later that night I developed a splitting head ache which I later learned is often casued by spending too much time looking through cheap binos. I suggest that you should probably be spending somewhere between $300-400 for reasonable binos. Not the best, but ok. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you all very much for your time... and let me show exactly how little I know about binoculars:

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully as you gain more knowledge about binoculars you will quickly identify the difficulty in find a quality piece of glass within your price range. Please do not take that as a dig of any sort. My point is that while you may hold in your hands something that is called a binocular the draw back to poor glass and design is just that....poor.

My advice would be to go without a pair of bino's for a season while saving the $$$$ and purchase one pair that will last a lifetime of enjoyment.

I have had several pair of low end optics as a young kid and I wondered who in their right mind would spend $800+ for binos or riflescopes. Having had the opportunity to use and purchase the european glass now, I realized that I wasted almost enough on the cheap stuff to purchase a pair of Swarov SLC's.

Just go to a BIG sporting goods store, Cabelas, Sportsmans Warehouse, etc. etc. etc. and look through EVERYTHING that you can possibly get your hands on and then leave and start searching for the best price possible.

That is the only way that you will find what you are looking for. Everyones eyes are different and nobody here can pick the best ones for you.

Just my 2 cents

The Nikon Activa line 10x22x50mm does not appear to exist any more... there is an ACTION with the same specs. My only concern is that i cannot find any reference to it being waterproof????????

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thank you all very much for your time... and let me show exactly how little I know about binoculars:

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully as you gain more knowledge about binoculars you will quickly identify the difficulty in find a quality piece of glass within your price range. Please do not take that as a dig of any sort. My point is that while you may hold in your hands something that is called a binocular the draw back to poor glass and design is just that....poor.

My advice would be to go without a pair of bino's for a season while saving the $$$$ and purchase one pair that will last a lifetime of enjoyment.

I have had several pair of low end optics as a young kid and I wondered who in their right mind would spend $800+ for binos or riflescopes. Having had the opportunity to use and purchase the european glass now, I realized that I wasted almost enough on the cheap stuff to purchase a pair of Swarov SLC's.

[/ QUOTE ] I absolutely agree.
UB

My first binoculars were Steiner 8x30 Military/Marine. Even though I have a pair of Swarovski SLC 7x42 and a pair of Steiner Predator 10x50, when I'm just going out looking around, I grab the 8x30's. I've had them now for 20 yrs and never had a bit of problem with them. They can still be bought for about $189 most places and far less than that at discounters or on ebay.

[ QUOTE ]
After having such success with the Nikon Monarch ATB roof prism 8X42, I had to try the new Nikon EX Action express 12X50. WOW, these are a great binos. A bit bulky but quite light for the mag.

They are porro prism meaning the objective is wider then the eyepieces (roof is a straight tube bino). Adjustments are great and I can see/resolve wild grass at 800yds.

Some will call it bunch grass. Grows about 10 to 12" high and about 1/8" in diameter to 1/4" flat. I can actually make out the different blades at that range.

Have not tried low light as I am too close to urban lights. However, for what they cost, I really couldn't be happier. I will be using this for cut block hunting with ranges just like you.

Give them a try. They really are impressive. Nikon is making a huge push into quality affordable optics from binos to scopes. Crazy prices for how well they perform.

Don't have a clue about durability or weather proofness as they are brand new this spring. However, they have been bouncing on the floor of my cab since I got them (kind of a torture test). No problems so far. Review the specs. All the right bits are there.

Jerry

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree here. I got the 12x50 in the Nikon EX line for 166 and love them. I, too can't say much regarding durability as this is their first season. I got them here huntersdiscount

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.