Tripod/ballhead/mount options

Rick_W

Do you use a tripod when hunting?

I'm trying to gain an understanding of what tripods are in use and what different mounts/ballheads work to shoot off of.

If you use a tripod, could you list:

1 - Tripod (make/model)
2 - Ballhead/mount
3 - Whatever else you use on the tripod to make it better for you

Yes, glassing out west with 12 or 15 power binos is a must. I have several Bogen tripods, depends on wether I am glassing close to the vehicle or packing in. I prefer to stand but tripods a bit heavy for packing. I like the Bogen quick release plates, easy to switch between tripods. I much prefer the fluid heads to the ball heads. Mech easier to pan and track. Lots of options depending on your needs.

Bogen/Manfrotto
Fluid head
Quick release plates.

I also use one that plays double duty. Number one component to get and most important is a hog or pig saddle I like the pig saddle a bit lighter.
I can clamp my bios into it for glassing then quickly mount my rifle back in for solid shots. I'm currently looking at new tripod and ball mount as I have a very heavy duty and solid setup. That being said I'm looking to replace with a very light unit as I like to do miles of walking a day. The one I have now is ok because I leave it clamped to my rifle and carry it fine but always looking for save weight.
Manfroto is where I'm looking currently.

take a look at Spartan tripod. briefly demo'd at shot show, and bought it. have my rifle and optics set up with it and have played around with it enough to like it so far, but field trial next month. easy to screw legs off and put a handle on to use one or two as walking sticks too. sounds a bit like a ronco gadget, but it really works. agree with dig, prefer fluid to ball head. I am trying out a sirui va5 to replace my manfrotto - much smaller/lighter. with the Spartan i can pop the optics off and put the rifle on in seconds, so don't need the heavy manfrotto to hold the rifle.

After trying several different combinations, I finally bit the bullet and went with RRS.

TFCT-24L Mk2 SOAR Tripod with Anvil 30 Ballhead
ARCA rail attached to my gun

Rock solid for shooting plus very light weight but I admit you pay a premium price for it.

My preferred set up. Total weight 5 pounds, 2ft collapsed length. Rock solid with rifle mounted pic rail or ARCA rail.
-RRS Anvil 30
-Two Vets Tripod

http://soar.reallyrightstuff.com/Anvil-30-Ballhead

https://www.twovetssportinggoods.com/products/two-vets-sporting-goods-tripod

6011934B-011C-4929-8EC2-CAA9A8D184FC.jpeg

Manfrotto Bogden Tripod
Manfrotto Headunit (2 Pivot)
Hog or Pig Saddle

If you get a ball unit make sure it supports 2x the weight of your glass or shooting system.

may I ask how much for your this set up? I've been looking for some time now but so many to choose from.

may I ask how much for your this set up? I've been looking for some time now but so many to choose from.
I have about $700 in it. Most items were purchased off other classified forums. The Hog Saddle was purchased from their website. Keeps my Swaro rock solid with no movement. I add the novagrade to eye piece for video or stills.
20190505_135759.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.