trigger job question

BIGMEAT

I'll start out by saying that I am just a regular hunter that likes to view this sight and read all of the great stuff here. I am basically interested in precision, not necessarily long range. Anyhow, I have a question.
Is it as easy as it seems to do a trigger job at home?? By just about anybody with a few mechanical skills?? I got step by step directions on the net on how to do a trigger job on a remington. Seems pretty straight forward. Am I missing something? My local smith charges 70 bucks and has my gun for a week. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Please let me know if I am off base, and tell me why or why not.

If I can adjust a Rem. trigger, anybody can!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yes, it's very easy to do.

After properly adjusting your trigger, you should be satisfied enough with that, I would think, and not have to stone anything. At least I'm happy with mine.

A "tuned" Remington trigger should suit you..sakofan.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rem trigger is not hard, sear engagement can get most of the creep out if it is a problem then the pull weight 2-3 lbs for most hunting guns.Over travel is my pet peeve on most triggers I like the trigger to stop moving when the sear breaks for the shot.If your smith is charging a lot to adjust the thing should feel like a Jewell Trigger.Rifle Basics sells a great trigger for a ltttle over 100 bucks.

Also depending on how much trigger pull you want you can get spring kits from brownells and adjust it down to 1 1/2# for around $13 a far cry from $70 but you got to remember you are paying him for his time and knowledge.

All you have to do is install the new springs and adjust travel screw and engagement screw to have the thing break crisply and cleanly and a whole lot lighter. All is done with no stoning.

Just remember to do a cycle test where you cycle the bolt very fast to see if the sear is set properly and also you can do a bump test to check the same thing but I always do the cycle test as you donot want the rifle going off as your cycling the bolt if the sear is not engaged enough. Also make sure safety functions correctly.

Thanks,
Ben

After you get done adjusting the trigger, put a drop of nail polish on the screw head so they don't back out. This can be easily removed if you need to readjust.

Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts