Job?

406pat

Anyone out there know of any jobs for a Civil/Environmental Engineer with 4 years experience in Washington? I've got a drop dead gorgeous girl that's a little tired of me being 4.5 hours away and it's about time to be making a move. Not having much luck through the conventional job search channels so I figured I'd give you guys and gals a shout.

Len,
Didn't look over the rules first so if this post is inappropriate or in the wrong spot please feel free to delete/move.

Thanks all!

-PJS

More of a need to than a want to I'd say. She just graduated WSU as a nurse and has a better chance of the job she wants there. I've got the lure of higher pay and keeping my girl happy. She wanted to head back east of all places! The outskirts of a bigger city in the northwest is the compromise.

It's not all bad, it kinda sounds like your looking at the Spokane area so you live just in Idaho which is right by Shawn Carlock and you enjoy the way better Idaho hunting. I lived just south of Spokane for 8 yrs, really liked it and it is a nice area but the hunting SUCKS!!!

Oh, hell no!!!! Hunting privileges revoked!!!! Well I survived 8 years but dang I wouldn't wish it on a dog I didn't like moving to the west side!! Best of luck man, at least you'll be closer to Alaska :D

If your mood is dependent on sunshine..............DONT DO IT
If you like over crowded streets and HOURS of traffic and have gills, and dont mind having hardly ANY public ground to hunt and play on, and you like folks with purple hair and burkenstocks playin gay rights music on the street corner, and gang problembs, and higher crime rate, and a traffic cop (undercover) behind every mile post with a radar gun, or if you like the hustle and bustle of millions of people who dont care if they run you over to get what they want, or COMPLETE MORONS when driving in any winter conditions (ya 1 snowflake counts to them) They stay about 2 inches off your bumper in monsoons as well...............
I guess what Im sayin is if you want to leave Montana to go to the ''rainy san francisco'' and give up all that is good in life for $ and a girl maybe you shouldnt live in Montana. But if your like most of the good ol' boys in Montana youll absolutely Hate seattle and do anything to move back home.
Theres only 2 choices
Tell the beautiful girl to move to Montana where life is good and so are the people
OR......
Send her down the road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Theres more pretty girls in Montana!!!!

I have been down the road of wife's job versus my job etc. Its an OK road to travel. If you decide to come to the East Coast let me know. I pretty much know everyone.

I assume you have looked at all of the traditional places such as the state agencies and Corps of Engineers and major consulting firms.

A suggestion would be to take things in steps if you cannot find a really good job. Find a low paying job and get to know people in the profession and use it as a spring board to another job. A good place to start is with the NGOs or with small town or county offices.

Thanks Bob I will. Yeah I've looked at about every conventional channel I can think of. Things are pretty tight all around. I'm in a tough spot as I'm just 6 months from applying for my professional engineer and I have too much experience for new hire (already been disqualified from a few for it believe it or not!).

winmag. I've heard all the horror stories and I think you're right in the long run I probably won't like it. I've actually spent a little time in the Bellevue and Issaquah areas and found I didn't hate them as much as I thought I would. I'm looking at it as an adventure! Just kinda want to see if I can do it and I don't want to look back in 20 years and wish I would have tried.
Plus I've already made it clear that I WILL be coming back home for hunting season and probably a few other trips.

LRSickle. Nice try but that's kinda missing the point of the post and a little inappropriate. Plus, there's plenty of that on the net as is.

bigngreen. Yeah I know. At least I've got quite a few college buddies out that way too. We're actually considering Alaska too. Blew me away when she said it but I guess there's good jobs up there in Anchorage. I guess I should expand and say that if anyone knows of anything or anyone in Anchorage hiring to shoot me a line as well!

Well best of luck to ya. She must be one heck of a gal!
Im from Eastern Oregon and married a Valley Girl(western Oregon). Now Im in the middle of the state cause she wont move to my part of the world, and theres NO DANG WAY Im livin in the valley!! Tried it. Still recouperating.
As for the Seattle area, Ive spent too much time on the west side of that state too. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I Love my wife, but I truely belive the farther away I stay from those places the better. We both like Central Oregon. But given the choice my kids would be raised in Baker Co. and grow up with the same bennifits as I had with open spaces and room to breathe. Respect for thier elders and hard work seem comon-place there.
I loved Montana too. Hired onto a registered Angus ranch out of Wise River. Great folks and great country. Never shouldve left, but $$$ was callin, and I answered.

Point is simply dont leave for $. Youll never make it back. If your lady friend means enough to you to go thru a living hell in western Wa. Then youve got a keeper, but make darn sure shed move back to Mt. for you. You may have to call her on it someday.................... Best of luck in your decision, and Job search.
P.S. Look REAL HARD at AK instead!!!!!

It'll be interesting if a pic gets posted just how high the post count will go. Don't do it dude she's liable to be one ticked off Lady.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.