Trigger failure in Rem Model Seven

Southern Alps

Kia Ora folks! Thats New Zealand for "Howdy"! I am based in Auckland, New Zealand and do a fair bit of hunting around the place. And what a great place it is too! Hunting is superb and generally easily accessible. Hunting for deer is legal and encouraged all year round. Anyway - on to my issue. I bought a Model Seven a little while ago and I am sure the previous owner had the trigger lightened. I used is a couple of times out in the field and had no problems. Took the rifle out to clean yesterday and it cannot be cocked! The sear won't hold. If I put the safety on and it will hold when I take the safety off the gun will fire! So here's my Q: should I bother trying to fix the original factory trigger or go straight for a good quality aftermarket replacement? Has any of you guy had a similar problem with a Remington factory trigger? I suppose that questing had been thrashed to death in previous threads? Anyway - Cheers and greeting from NZ!

Thanks for that fj40mojo! Very instructional. I have sent the rifle to a top-notch gunsmith to sort it out. Unfortunately, he is located in Christchurch here in New Zealand and I think it will be some time before fixing my rifle will feature in his thinking! Those poor bastards down there just had a devastating earthquake - potentially the most damaging in New Zealand's history. God help them!

Problem sounded like insufficient sear engagement. I think you could have sorted it out yourself and still ended up with a pretty decent trigger. I've had my M7 since '85, taken several elk and lots of deer with it. Handy little rifle, 7mm-08 but have been giving thought lately to rebarreling it to .260 Rem. Prayers sent for your countrymen and women and best wishes to you. Wish I could make it down to your part of the world for some stag hunting and trout fishing.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.