Trajectory validation

emmagator

I'm generating a drop chart for my long range load. Problem is I only have access to 250yrds to shoot and get actual bullet drop data to input into chart. Is this yardage ok or do I need to figure out a place to shoot farther to get mire accurate data? Thanks

The only way to get the right numbers is to do the shooting. The charts give a good idea, but you almost always have to put the bullet on target to know for sure. Even with good inputs, the charts almost always have to be tweaked to get them right for your rifle. Unfortunately, you will have to go shooting. :)

Talk to a nice farmer about checking your hunting gun scope & see if he'll let you shoot across his land. Stand up one of them portable targets available at Bass Pro, etc. Walk back from it with a laser rangefinder, set your gun down on it's bipod & see what your capabilities really are.
Be safe, mindful of property, thank the farmer & offer a dinner worth of tip.

I validate trajectory after every time I load a new batch of bullets, or get a new lot of anything... including primers. For me that is ensureing I can make cold bore hits at every range to 100 yards past what I intend to set as my maximum effective range (If I say that my effective range is 900 yards, I need to be able to have good dope to 1000 yards).

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.