To much pressure

bamadawg2009

I know this is going to be an old post but why does it take so much pressure to size up or size down 30-06 to 280 and 270 to 280? My 338 brass that I size to 30cal feels fine but any brass I try to resize to 280 just feels like im putting to much pressure on the press and die. I even had a 30-06 federal case get stuck in the 280 die the other day. Anybody have any suggestions on why or what Im doing wrong. I'm full length sizing the cases, and giving them a spray shot of hornandy case lube.

I'm full length sizing the cases, and giving them a spray shot of hornandy case lube.

Information from my Lee kit.
lubeneck.jpg

What brand of dies are you using? For sizing cases down I like Lee and you can get a Lee die body dirt cheap. Imperial sizing wax as recommended or that cheap Hornady Unique that comes in a tub. That is all I am using lately and I love that stuff. It is the slickest stuff I have ever used, a little greasy feeling on your fingers but works great.

I use Hornady one shot to resize fire formed brass. I use that the most, but if I want to resize from one caliber to another, I use Vaseline. Most will disagree because it is suppose to dent the cases. I apply it evenly, and conservatively. It will work in a pinch.

Thanks guys for the info. Im using Redding dies, and the case that got stuck was a federal. I've noticed that they seem a little tight in all my dies so Im going to get away from federal and go back to winchester or remington. Ill just start using a little case lube and cuetip for the inside of the neck before I resize.

I mic'd some federal 7mm-08 brass last night and found that the necks are .001 thicker than remington or winchester brass. That could be your problem.

"I am with loaner"
Imperial sizing wax both inside and out but not on every case, your press will telll you when more is needed. I tried some spray on stuff this summer after using the imperial for 40 years or so. Went back to it after the first 20 cases. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.