To lengthen the throat or not

ka30270

I picked up a Tikka 300 WSM and the throat is a little shorter than I had anticipated. I was thinking of throating it a little to take advantage of the long action of the Tikka and gain some powder space. If you look at the pic the black lines around the bullets is how deep in the case it measures to the lands with my oal gauge. The Berger 180 EH looks pretty good but I've had mixed results with the 175 vldh. Any suggestions?

B3A7ED15-80B1-457D-9EBE-C73C2076401E.jpeg

If you throat for 1 then you might have accuracy issues with the rest? Like chasing lands! I'm trying too decide on how much on lengthening of the throat also. I've been thinking about using the lowest weight bullet seated out to boattail in the shoulder and see where accuracy is before changing. If it doesn't like a big jump then you're lost on that bullet, because you're losing holding area in need of now more boattail in the neck. I 2nd on the shoot'n see!

Something that is rarely considered is that EVERYTHING is a trade-off in the gun world. So you throat longer to load longer to get more powder capacity BUT with more case volume your pressure is lower too so adding more powder to raise pressure can many times make no difference in the end. If you run QL you can see this easily. Some rounds are more efficient than others and gain a little but it's not as much as one would think. Just what I've found over the years, your mileage may vary.

If you are not going to be slinging 200 and up grain bullets don't bother. The 215 in a long throated magazine is going to run dam near as fast as the175vld due to the short bearing surface. The 208 and 212 also benefit from a longer throat. Imho the bigger than 215 class needs more powder than a wism provides.
Pick a bullet buy enough for the barrel life then you have a better plan. Shooting 1/2 dozen different bullets leave it as it is.

Something that is rarely considered is that EVERYTHING is a trade-off in the gun world. So you throat longer to load longer to get more powder capacity BUT with more case volume your pressure is lower too so adding more powder to raise pressure can many times make no difference in the end. If you run QL you can see this easily. Some rounds are more efficient than others and gain a little but it's not as much as one would think. Just what I've found over the years, your mileage may vary.
I've noticed this also with most cartridges and small gains was all, unless in a 28" or more with a powder that performs well with those barrels.

1) Thanks for the replies
2) Tikka is a long action so mag length is a non issue, the 180' are 3.030" to lands.
3) I don't think the 215's will stabilize in the 11 twist of the Tikka barrel but I thought about the 200.20x. Any experience with them versus the 180 Elite Hunter?
4) I get that the pressure will drop by creating more space in the brass but I think their is a point of no return or "gain". I'm not sure where that point is in the WSM case capacity.

The throat on a 300WSM starts right at the barrel opening.The lands have a long taper.I had one that I had to load my 165gr bullets using 180gr data.I had the velocity I should get,but I had to keep my loads about a grain or two under book max for used bullet weight.I fire lapped the barrel and my loads dropped around 100fps.I moved my throat enough that I could start loading it at recommended book max for the bullet weight I was using.I think I used 20 lapping bullets and it moved my bullet ogive to lands about .100