lengthen throat on existing chamber?

I'll be the odd man out and say just do it yourself with one of the PTG Uni-Throater tools. I have them for 338 and 30 calibers and I've used each of them many times with great results. If you're capable of fixing a leaking kitchen faucet, you're competent enough to lengthen the throat. Just go slow and read the directions, they remove material very quickly!

I ended up getting the 338 reamer after a very well known shop damaged my reamer and ordered a new one hoping I wouldn't notice. The replacement reamer had the wrong freebore specs so my chamber was cut with .010" freebore. There was no way I was going to send my gun back to them after waiting 10 months for them to mess up both my reamer and my barrel so I just ordered the Uni-Throater and fixed it myself on a work bench in my garage. That gun still shoots .3 MOA which is all I can ask for from a magnum caliber specialty pistol. That's likely as well as it would have shot no matter who did the barrel work on it.

I have been eyeballing the PTG Uni throater, and wondering if you could combined it with the fire formed case idea to make it even a little easier to get close to perfect...... their reamer is the only one I've seen with threads on it, and you could lock nut down on case head to set depth. I know PTG is not spoken of very highly by some, but I haven't seen any other manufacture making something similar. Anyone try it or have thoughts? In my case the manufacture of barrels, (yes, barrels, 4 total) won't return emails, and even if they did, I'm not sure I'd trust sending them back.

I think you are missing something. Saying you want your chamber throated for 195 Bergers is pretty vague. The Gunsmith may think a SAAMI chamber is good for 195 Bergers.

You are right....the blame is on me. I did not adequately communicate to the smith what I wanted. There was another fellow in the shop at the time that had had a 28 built by the smith and he kind of hijacked the conversation and lead me to believe that the reamer the smith had was what I was asking for. ...when in fact it was a SAMMI spec. MY bad. Again, I did not adequately communicate to the smith...what I wanted.

How far is the body of the bullet intruding into the case below the neck/shoulder junction? How much room do you have left in your magazine (if you aren't single loading)? IF the smith was clear on the request, and there was enough room, the bullet should have been seated near the neck shoulder junction when touching the lands. (Or up into the neck a bit)

It is below the junction..by a fair amount It is a Sammi spec chamber and throat.

I've gotten some good feedback and ideas thank you all.

I have been eyeballing the PTG Uni throater, and wondering if you could combined it with the fire formed case idea to make it even a little easier to get close to perfect...... their reamer is the only one I've seen with threads on it, and you could lock nut down on case head to set depth. I know PTG is not spoken of very highly by some, but I haven't seen any other manufacture making something similar. Anyone try it or have thoughts? In my case the manufacture of barrels, (yes, barrels, 4 total) won't return emails, and even if they did, I'm not sure I'd trust sending them back.

This looks interesting to me. Shortly after my first post and without seeing the feedback..... I talked to Dave and ordered the uni throater. Doesn't mean I have to use it. Don't like the idea of throwing $160 away...but a good shooting 28 is more important to me......

Thoughts on Ckgworks idea?

Sure. But I avoid PT&G cutting tools completely. "Hobbyest tools", at best! It takes an experienced hand to set the throat where you want it using a throating reamer. I think doing the work on the lathe is better than trying to do it by hand. Those throating reamers are sharp, and you are not cutting much steel, so if you go "by feel" you can cut too far in a heart beat!

I see a couple guys agree with you here. (elkoholic and jounneymanwirecontrols). Is your main issue the potential to cut too deep?

It's pretty hard to remove too much material with one of the Uni-Throaters if you read and follow the directions. There's a depth stop which can be adjusted to prevent cutting too far as well as a sleeve which helps align the cutter and makes pretty hard to mess anything up too bad.

Just make sure your barrel is clean with no carbon built up in the throat and that you use the right bushing for your bore.

It's pretty hard to remove too much material with one of the Uni-Throaters if you read and follow the directions. There's a depth stop which can be adjusted to prevent cutting too far as well as a sleeve which helps align the cutter and makes pretty hard to mess anything up too bad.

Just make sure your barrel is clean with no carbon built up in the throat and that you use the right bushing for your bore.

Thanks, I appreciate your input

I see a couple guys agree with you here. (elkoholic and jounneymanwirecontrols). Is your main issue the potential to cut too deep?
My main issue with PT&G cutting tools is the shoddy tools they put out. Reamers out of spec, reamers that only cut on 1 flute, you name it, they can mess it up! Not to mention the poor customer service. I own in the neighborhood of 80 finish chambering reamers. 7 of those were made by PT&G and I had trouble with every one of them! The rest of my reamers are JGS or Manson Precision. When I order from either of them I get what I ask for without a bunch of run around. I have used customer supplied tooling that was made by PT&G, also,,,,, and had issues with those to the point that if a customer wants me to use his reamer, and it's a PT&G, I will turn down the work. It just isn't worth the hassle that it can turn into!

My main issue with PT&G cutting tools is the shoddy tools they put out. Reamers out of spec, reamers that only cut on 1 flute, you name it, they can mess it up! Not to mention the poor customer service. I own in the neighborhood of 80 finish chambering reamers. 7 of those were made by PT&G and I had trouble with every one of them! The rest of my reamers are JGS or Manson Precision. When I order from either of them I get what I ask for without a bunch of run around. I have used customer supplied tooling that was made by PT&G, also,,,,, and had issues with those to the point that if a customer wants me to use his reamer, and it's a PT&G, I will turn down the work. It just isn't worth the hassle that it can turn into!

Couldn't be more accurate!!

Thanks
Good to know

In a Remington style box capacity will be limited, as will capacity in a center feed box. I am just about to finish up an ultra-lite in 28 Nos, and in my instance I am able to use a std. RUM box , as the customer supplied dummy rds. have plenty of room. The action is not a 'donor' from an existing rifle, it was purchased as a new UM action to begin with. Still, I had to open the rails a bit at a time until it'd feed 'slick'. Don't know how the CF box might work. Either way, there's usually some 'gunsmithing' required. For either of the Wyatts boxes the rear end of the feed port will require some milling to fit the longer box.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.