To Hoard or Not to Hoard-That is the QUESTION???

epags
Yes sir!
We are defiantly defined as HOARDERS!
If you look in the Webster Dictionary it will have our picture and our names under HOARDERS!
It is defined of having Primers. Powder, Brass, Bullets for at least 25 different cartridges.
Looking at 10+ years supply.
OK....10+ years = hoarding.
I guess I am just an average shooter....I have a 5+/- years supply of ammo and/or reloading components.
Mickey Mouse Happy Dance GIF by hoppip

My 2 cents,
It's not about hoarding as it is about availability.
I don't want a bunch of ammo in a given caliber, I want what I planning to hunt with.
Finding the ammo you plan on using is a bigger challenge than just finding ammo to shoot.
I prefer using nickel plated shot for upland bird hunting so I have to pay a premium price if I can find it.
When I do I hoard.

Because I feel bad about hoarding, I've been consolidating my stock.
Dispersing what could be considered excessive to fellow reloaders that I work with.
With this, they don't have to buy so much, and I figure what they have, I have (for what I might need), when SHTF.

Whether this is a right choice will come down to how much S hits the F
Mike you can just send us the extra components and relieve you mind of being a HOARDER.

I shot 2000+ rounds of 6 Dasher this year in PRS competition. Goal is to get 2000 projectiles of same lot, 2000 primers of same lot, and enough powder of same lot to load those 2000 rounds for next year. That seems outrageous to those that shoot 10 rounds per year - in my world that is considered bear minimum.
Scott
Right on my Friend.
Let me know when you are going to the range and we can meet up/
Trying to finish Jills 6mmBR.
Len

Lets not forget the increase in the number of handloaders in the last 30 or so years. We also have seen a huge increase in various shooting diciplines. Let us also remember the gas crucnch where the oil companies bought up each other and then shut down the refineries of the companies they bought. Demand increased and supply went down because of monopolies. With that said, we went from Hodgdon, winchester, IMR, Hercules, and st marks to Hodgdon and Alliant. Of that, Hodgdon has exclusive rights to Winchester, ADI, Winchester, IMR, Ramshot, and Accurate. St marks is the only US maker for ball powders now. CCI is now owned by foreigners but we now have white river making primers. Our nation is being sold to the highest bidders. Sorry for the rant but Hodgdon momopolizing the industry is not good in any way

I have enough components to keep me shoot rifles or pistols for several years. I haven't loaded shot shells in years but I'm considering stocking up on shot and powder, maybe another 1k primers.

Hoarding is hard to define, at least to me. If I had 10k rifle primers, bullets and 30# of powder for one caliber. I'd be a hoarder, because I wouldn't shoot that much in the rest of my life. Now there are guys who'll shoot that much in 3-5 years so keeping that amount of components isn't hoarding, IMHO.

As far as a guy that doesn't reload but buys a new rifle and 500-1000 rounds of ammo for that rifle, not hoarding in my mind. Over the years I've had three or four turkey (shotguns) guns, once I've found the ammo that shot best in them I've bought enough to last me several years. The way the ammo market evolves it's smart, I think.

I have one rifle that I don't reload for, in fact I don't shoot it much anymore, a few times ever four or five years. I've had it for over 45 years and used to shoot it a lot. I have a ton of once fired brass for it, primers and powder that'll work, I'm seriously considering buying dies and bullets for it. Yep, I'll be a hoarder on this one. LOL