To clean your gun or not to clean your gun-thats my question

When younger I was always told one should clean their rifle. When I was in the Marines there was no question about it what-so-ever. Not so long ago I read an article by a prominent rifle shooting competitor that explained why it's important to keep one's rifle barrel cleaned on a reguler basis. But most recently I'm hearing just the opposite. Some serious shooters say they don't clean their barrel for 600 rounds or more unless of course they get water or dirt ect in the barrel. How often do you clean your barrels? Thanks in advance.

I think it's important to keep them clean and well lubed. If you shoot competitively you need to clean after each match if you want optimum lifespan and results. I believe the initial cleaning/lapping/break-in whatever you want to call it is critical. After that it's not as critical unless you are copper fouling. With AR's you need to keep the BCG well lubed but the chrome lined barrels do not require as much maintenance. Bolt actions are easy once broken in, but competition/precision guns need to be prepped for your fouling shot.

I WOULD LIKE TO LOOK DOWN SOME OF YOUR BORES WITH A GOOD BORE SCOPE. I'LL BET YOU WOULD BE SURPRISED. I CAN'T BELIEVE SOME OF THESE STATEMENTS OF ADVISE. 500 TO 600 ROUNDS WITHOUT CLEANING. MAYBE JUST LAZY. THE BENCH SHOOTERS THAT I KNOW CLEAN AFTER EVERY RELAY. SOME WEAR OUT A BORE BRUSH IN A TOURNAMENT. DO WHAT YOU, BUT I CLEAN AFTER 10.
I can send you a few barrels to look down if you like.
You can look down them all you want. After I wear this criterion out you can look down it too. By the way, what are you looking for?

Last edited:
I'm going to respectfully disagree! My light recoil (probably should read zero recoil), small bore rifles show a higher propensity to requiring 1 to 3 fouling shots to start performing as they should. Our larger caliber, much higher recoiling rifles show little to no impact shift from clean to fowled bore first shots! This is shooting and experiencing the same results for 20+ years with the same firearms. memtb
I think you are right about the caliber difference, my 270, 556 and 6.5 all are more finiky than my 45-70s and 356. The big bore guns always are zero and I usually have some oil in them post hunting season.

When younger I was always told one should clean their rifle. When I was in the Marines there was no question about it what-so-ever. Not so long ago I read an article by a prominent rifle shooting competitor that explained why it's important to keep one's rifle barrel cleaned on a reguler basis. But most recently I'm hearing just the opposite. Some serious shooters say they don't clean their barrel for 600 rounds or more unless of course they get water or dirt ect in the barrel. How often do you clean your barrels? Thanks in advance.
Short answer.- keep your rifle oiled & clean the bore when accuracy starts to degrade.

I clean when my groups start opening up. Or if I've used it in adverse weather .

There will never be a consensus on this subject because of the many beliefs and shooting conditions. I have tried the many methods and theories. and for my uses and desires I have settled on the method that gives me the best accuracy and barrel life.

Different barrels and shooting situations require different cleaning regiments so there is no "ONE" method that works for everything.

To clean, or not to clean is an individual preference based on very little actual facts. Only testing and repair will tell you if you should clean or not.

J E CUSTOM

Hello J E ,
This answer sounds to me like you might be a politician , or you show great promise as a future politician . I AM JOKING ! I would not wish that fate on anyone .
I really enjoy your commentary on all subjects here on LRH , so please continue to PRESS ON .

DMP25-06

In part I ask the question also because I have lately been shooting a 300 WM that I would usually clean maybe every 20 rounds give or take and clean well. I was trying to ready it as a back up rifle for an elk hunt but the 1st shot always seemed to be off a little from the rest.
It made me wonder if I was maybe cleaning it too much and just maybe if I let it go a bit that first shot might be more of a part of the group. Not sure I'll ever know for sure as I decided if a new used 7 Rem mag I recently bought shoots well I'll use it instead as a back up since the other 2 hunters in my group will be carrying 7mm Rem mags but it got me to thinking eitherway. Getting rifles ready to possibly shoot out to 600 yards or so is a lot different than getting guns ready for the southern deer season where most shot opportunities are under 100 yards around here in my part of NC. I always did try to get my rifles shooting 1 MOA and if they did I was very satisfied. Though a consistent 1 MOA should still do the job I would feel better if I had a little padding and shoot 3/4 and under for my elk guns. Thank you all who posted. I have read all so far and the general consensus seems to indicate I should clean a little less than I do. So I will hold off a bit longer before cleaning and see how that goes.

I to clean about every 20-30 rounds, custom and factory bbl. I have no reason other than, it makes me feel better. As you stated, I also see the first shot being a little off and then everything else is stacked together. But it has always been just the first shot. And it's not much off. Since I know this, I shoot one shot before I take it hunting. Other than that it stays in the safe clean and I'm not gone to work worrying about it. (I work away for long periods at times.) I don't shoot competitions other than against myself. Lol. I don't shoot shots close together, (unless hunting and I have to.) I'm sure if I did shoot competitions, and man would I love to try, my strategy would change to more rounds before cleaning. This is just how I've always done it and I have had no problems. They might would be fine for 100-200-300 rounds. I don't know because I've never given them a chance.

I only clean my match barrels when the groups go to ****, or I chicken out before a 2-day match when I have 500-600 rounds since the last cleaning. My 223 trainer hasn't been cleaned in over 2,000 rounds, and it still shoots sub-MOA and holds the same speed, so it doesn't get touched.

I have to say someone is pulling your leg the more you shoot a rifle the more fouling it gets the less you clean your rifle after 8 shots your are taking the chance of barrel erosion of the barrel where the lands start . And the less you clean it the worse your accuracy gets especially with the high velocity magnums and small bores also .or any other rifle as far as it goes . I recommend 8 shots clean it . Let barrel cool in between shots. It just shooti g for fun it saves you money on a rebarrel .

Hi, so back in the late 80s, I shoot long range pistol comp. I tested this very thing. In cases of say 308 or smaller volume, speeds and sd grow 2 to 3 fps after 5 to 6 rounds, than change every 40 rounds, 80 , 120, and so on, groups grow with it. Big volume cases like 300 wm, change twice as fast. I hunt after a good group at the range, so I know it shoots, and don't clean till end of season. Just tape the end of barrel to keep clean, works for me.

When I did my professional hunters training with the late Ian Goss (then President of the PHASA, the Professional Hunters Association of Southern Africa), this same question was raised.

Ian was quite unequivocal in his advice: Out of season, clean your rifle/s as often as you like. However, at the start of hunting season, clean your rifle once sighted in. Then, after reaching your hunting destination, check your zero and then hunt. DO NOT clean your rifle once sighted in, especially not until the end of hunting season! If your rifle is shooting where it should, leave it alone until you've dropped your last animal.

Does this mean you'll be fouling your barrel over the season? Probably not.

In a favourable season, I may take between 15 to 20+ animals over three to five separate hunts. I'll generally expend one round per animal, sometimes two if the animal is obstinate or doesn't understand terminal ballistics (read less than perfect shot placement on my part!) and about three rounds to check my scope zero at the commencement of each hunt. I'm therefore looking at between 25 to 30 or so rounds fired per season, and even less per rifle if I'm shooting the diminutive springbok in the Karoo flats with one of my plains rifles; impala, warthog, kudu or gemsbok with my bush rifle or bushpig with my 45-70.

Before he passed away, Ian Goss had accumulated well over half a century of experience as a game rancher and professional hunter all over Africa and in many other parts of the world. He had hunted almost all African game species including Cape Buffalo, African Elephant, leopard, hippo and rhino. I therefore defer to his vastly greater experience and gladly follow his advice!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.