To bush or mandrel

Rum and not the liquid

So im stepping up my reloading game for my 375 rum and focusing on getting the neck tension and concetricity spot on I've got a set of type s Redding bushing dies and I'm now wondering weather or not I'm going to see better results with mandrels or the correct bush?

cheers
Lucas

So im stepping up my reloading game for my 375 rum and focusing on getting the neck tension and concetricity spot on I've got a set of type s Redding bushing dies and I'm now wondering weather or not I'm going to see better results with mandrels or the correct bush?

cheers
Lucas
I use a mandrel as the final step in my reloading process

I use a simple full length die and pull the decapping assembly with the button out. Then I full length size with .002-.003 shoulder bump, deprime with a universal depriming die, and then mandrel expand. I haven't had any issues at all doing this for 3 different cartridges.

Not all expander buttons are the same, I dont like Redding, or Rcbs unless I polish them. Whiddens are by far the best out of the box. The bushing- expander button combo is critical to run out and letting the bushing float a little. Dont trust the size that is stamped on the bushing there not always the exact size there stamped as.
My suggestion is either run the carbide floating Redding expander button or buy whiddens.
I do use mandrels to and I haven't determined one way or the other is better yet.

I use a simple full length die and pull the decapping assembly with the button out. Then I full length size with .002-.003 shoulder bump, deprime with a universal depriming die, and then mandrel expand. I haven't had any issues at all doing this for 3 different cartridges.
Nothing wrong with this except with a bushing you can control how much you are working the brass. With a full length die you get what you get and it may be sizing down a bunch. Getting a die honed by forster is another good option.

Nothing wrong with this except with a bushing you can control how much you are working the brass. With a full length die you get what you get and it may be sizing down a bunch. Getting a die honed by forster is another good option.
Yeah and I haven't had any problems with brass failing. In theory it's overworking the brass, but in my experience it has no ill affects. A $30 sizing die vs. a $150 bushing die plus buying a few bushings hoping one of them is actually what is says it is. Sizing with a bushing then expanding is probably better, but how much better is it? It's hard to say.

I have also seen where you can remove the expander, size the brass. Put the expander back in and then you are pushing the button through not pulling it. Just like a mandrel. Helps cut down run out since you are not pulling the expander ball through.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.