Tips for Idaho Bear

No specific knowledge of that area but have been in those general mountains. That area is big country. You'll want to be in good shape. Any big game caliber will be fine for bear. The later into the fall you go, the less you'll see them. If your not baiting, and you haven't extensively scouted the area, calling may be your best bet. Look for scat piles in areas not to far from water. Most bear tags sold for fall hunting are for the incidental sighting during deer or elk season. You almost never see them late in the season.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure it's justified shelling out nearly$200.00for a tag, how late in the season is there a chance to see one? I am thinking we'll be there in mid October.

No specific knowledge of that area but have been in those general mountains. That area is big country. You'll want to be in good shape. Any big game caliber will be fine for bear. The later into the fall you go, the less you'll see them. If your not baiting, and you haven't extensively scouted the area, calling may be your best bet. Look for scat piles in areas not to far from water. Most bear tags sold for fall hunting are for the incidental sighting during deer or elk season. You almost never see them late in the season.

Agreed. While I haven't spent much time in 28, I've spent some time in 20A and 26. You can see a few bears in this area during the fall but nothing like you can see in the spring. During the fall, you would be doing well to see 1 bear in a week compared to often seeing multiple bears a day in the spring. Calling might work but I've never tried it.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure it's justified shelling out nearly$200.00for a tag, how late in the season is there a chance to see one? I am thinking we'll be there in mid October.

I don't buy a bear tag unless i'm hunting bear. Just me but if I take a bear, that's probably at least a full day getting it out and the last time I did it, I felt like I was run over. I'd just as soon hunt what I'm hunting and watch the bear which for me is gratifying too. One time I watched a deer and a bear rubbernecking each other only 100 yards from me. Before I could shoot the deer, some jerk in a plane flew over scaring both away. I've also had boobs in helicopters spoil an area while scouting the day before or during the season. Some people shouldn't be allowed to have money.

Anyway, that Salmon River Country is big and animals can be spread out.

........Just me but if I take a bear, that's probably at least a full day getting it out and the last time I did it, I felt like I was run over.

Never been there, but a couple of things won't change.

A big fall bear is the worst thing I've ever packed. Slimy with no real angles to lash onto. Peel as much fat off as you can. We peeled a bunch of slabs of one, of course it was dark, when I got home I filled a 15 gallon garbage can, and it was over 75 lbs. Glad we were done with grease all over us we smelled like walking bait sets.

Bears universally are scrambling for one more good meal, I like the predator call idea.
Some years we have a few choke cherries available, if you find some leftovers that's a good, and fresh scat that's as good a place as any.

Good Luck!

I have hunted that unit in the spring and fall for the last ten years, and I have killed one bear in the fall. It was the third week of September you might look at going heifer the elk season opens and deer so you beat the traffic. It also depends on where you will be hunting in 28 if you are in the canyon or the southern end of the unit. Hope that helps

If I was you in Idaho you can buy a second deer tag for a reduced price of $199 if bear and deer are open the same time you can use a non resident tag on a bear also on mountain lion and wolf. So I don't see a need for you to get abear tag just get two deer tags and get a deer and a ppredator or two deer

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts